V6 Engine '99 Vs '02 Differences - Egr / Exhaust Manifolds / Air Bypass Valve

pixapusher

Mar 11, 2017
Hey all,
Forgive me as I am brand new to 'Stangs. I just got an '02 Mustang V6 5 speed with 250K on it. Then I found a great deal on an engine. I want to identify it but it isn't adding up yet.

I bought a donor motor supposedly from an '03 Mustang V6 (Claimed it was wrecked, had 35K on it). However, it had a '99 Flywheel (Externally balanced flywheel... not right for an 03) and it has an air pump system on it from a '99 (My '02 does not have this air pump system at all) (Second picture).

I googled the model # on the air pump valve and came up with this. Looks like it only goes to '99 and '00's with California emissions.

Amazon product ASIN B000C5FIBEView: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C5FIBE/?tag=stangnet-20

I can't tell anything from the valve cover... I have googled 1g530ba and I only find cylinder heads for sale.

I noticed there's no rod for the IMRC on the back of the donor motor's intake... what gives? Could it have broken off? I just serviced the one on my car and it was fairly obvious where it was located. I already see I'm going to have to use my original exhaust manifolds, upper intake, EGR system and I also think wiring harness. There is an extra EGR tube on the donor motor's manifolds and it is plumbed differently. My 250K exhaust manifold has cracked on the passenger side so i wanted to get rid of it. This is a first glance, I haven't actually begun tearing into these yet.

I did think I would have a direct drop in, but no big deal.

Where is the block casting number on this V6?

The cast aluminum on my donor motor is very oxidized, but the sticker is still there on the valve cover and no evidence of leaks....

Anyone want the air bypass valve? :flame:

PlGkOtG.jpg

f6HD5NS.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Sponsors (?)

Well. Your motor likely doesn't have a rod for the IMRC because a 1999-2000 model year V6 does not have IMRC.

IMO you are also right to question the external vs internal balance.

Here's a trick for you. Salvage yards are required to maintain the donor VIN that a part comes from. Run the VIN through a VIN decoder and even better run a CarFax report. This will help determine IF the salvage yard is being honest about the mileage.

Here's some more information from a recent post that may be helpful.
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/help-my-daughters-graduation-gift-wont-start.896560/

Thanks for that link, definitely similar. I removed the upper/lower intake to find there is indeed a balance shaft, so it's internally balanced. I did order a neutral flywheel. The engine came from an auto shop. It looks like it was an '03 that was put into a '99, I just can't find any other combo that was assembled like this. Their claim of mileage probably held no truth. Sounds like as long as this is an '03 longblock I won't have an issue with the swap (ECT VS CHT). I will put my '02 lower/upper intake with IMRC on the donor engine. I'll swap to my car's wiring harness.

I need to find a pipe end cap with an inner diameter of 20mm to plug these ports on either side to the air injection system. That's proven to be difficult so far. I may just have my local shop weld these shut.

My engine stand has something else on it, I need to get this up in the air!

eX7cW1z.jpg

EWqtyNa.jpg

5J2HVMi.jpg