Drivetrain V8 - stock 4 speed clutch

Yeah it really threw me for a loop. As it ended up - it really was a bolt in. They just didn't bother to let me/us know about the reduced travel and the removal of the spring.
Yes the pressure plate teeth are about 1/2" closer to the engine. Because of the lever effect/advantage; that amounts to about half of the travel.
There is enough travel. No need to cut the bell housing.
(Can't figure out this quote stuff should be here)
I'm going to head into Ontario and fish for Walleye, Lake Trout and Northern Pike. It will be a blast. Multiple bodies of water.

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Hi All,
Enzio here. First - Thank you to all who’ve followed this thread and watched the videos.
The SPEC clutch is a very good alternative. I’m really enjoying getting to know it. We’re becoming fast friends. It’s been years since I had a good clutch and so I’ve not driven the Cobra ii hardly at all. A few observations I’m making after about 100 miles of city driving with the new clutch:
On the maiden voyage (you couldn’t see because the camera battery ran out) I could not shift into reverse. Then shortly after it became difficult to get it into first from neutral at a stop. I barely got it into the garage. [Solution] – The clutch needed to be adjusted tighter in just the first 3 mile trip.
The adjustment didn’t give me reverse but it shifted much better on the second trip. So I took it for a 50 mile (approximate) spin and when I got home I adjusted it again. I noticed that even though the travel on the clutch is still extremely tight the feel was getting much nicer and I could get into my garage with no issues. To find reverse I needed to turn it off and roll it back a few inches. Then it went into reverse.
Drove to the gas station, jumped on the freeway for a short stretch, and then drove through University Village on my way home. Adjusted the clutch again and suddenly I could shift in and out of reverse. (Whew! I thought I had mess something up.)
Took the car in to have the front end aligned. Blew the power steering pressure line on the way home. Had both lines redone and replaced them.
The next day I noticed a small puddle under the left rear axle. New brake line developed a leak. I repaired the leak and rebled the lines.
Took a friend for a ride down the west river parkway at dark to check out the new LED lights and had no issues for a change. Well, except the police seem to pay much more attention than when I’m driving my truck.
Next morning I went out to the garage to drive the Cobra over to the grocery store after adjusting the clutch again. (It seems that this will be the norm until the clutch get’s broken in.) It wouldn’t start. Back to the parts store for a new solenoid.
Got it running and am in the process of trying to find someone who can bend up a custom exhaust solution.
Thank you again,
Enzio
Here's the YT link to Day 7:

View: https://youtu.be/MI5aptzG4xI

Thank you.
I think there's much more grip but the feel at this point is very soft and cushy in a tiny little movement. So I guess there feels like a lot more control of the grip. I'll let you know about the grip when I reach the 500 mile break-in. Spec is very specific in that if you do hole-shots, burnouts, drag racing, etc. then you void the warranty. I got to break in the engine also. So, I'm just going to wait for it.

So, do you have a YT channel yet? I really want to be the first subscriber. It's pretty easy. All you need is a GMAIL address. Hopefully, you don't set it up when I'm gone fishing.

She seems to run well!! Have you determined if the "tick" is valvetrain noise or an exhaust leak? I'm leaning toward an exhaust leak.....

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you,
Not sure about the tick but the exhaust is surely leaking. I just got back from a custom exhaust shop and will not be able to get it in until July 8th. Which is fine as I've dedicated the last two months to nothing but the car so I've got plenty to do in the meantime. If it's not the exhaust I'll need to dig deeper.

Reviving this thread to update on the clutch after 1200 miles. It's great!
I had to continue to adjust the clutch and/or clutch cable all the way out to about 900 miles. That could also be part of the new clutch cable also. It seems to have a happy place right now and may be too tight and need to be reduced by about 1/2 turn on the adjusting nut. If you want to go this route then by all means do so.
If I had to do this over again then I'd probably go the 5-speed route just for the extra highway gear but I'm happy with it as it is now. If there was a bolt-in no modification 5 speed out there that didn't need a new flywheel or bell housing or transmission mount or cut the floor; I'd be all over it.

WTF??? Who decides these things? LOL. I guess I have to be proud of it.
Mods/Admins... In your case... Me and @Noobz347 . Earning a CT is an honor, a sometimes dubious one, but an honor nonetheless. We only give CTs to those we like... Or really really hate... :rlaugh:

99% of the time a CT is awarded when you say something that would be downright hilarious when taken out of context. One guy got "I can't fap normal", another "yes, I took the shot in the hiney", and my personal favorite, someone once got "I have a problem with you ass weasel!"

It's a tradition.

Just an update on the clutch. I'm doing some extensive upgrades on the Cobra II for many reasons but one was that the rear main seal started leaking. So as part of the upgrades I was going to replace the friction disc. I bought a replacement 10" from Napa. It's a good thing I compared it to the Spec disc.
The spec disc is 9.75" in diameter and has a lot more surface area but not 10" like the original. So, I guess I'll go to the source and pick one up.