Valve Cover Hell

redsn95gt

Aug 5, 2010
As I try hard as I can to foresee future problems on my motor build, it never ceases to amaze me how these things sneak up. I knew in the back of my head that the Scorpion stud mount 1.6 RRs were lookin kinda big, but I didn't want to admit it. NOW I HAVE THIS PROBLEM: :bang:

View attachment 193524

View attachment 193525

I've done some research on this issue, seen it come up a few times, but nobody had a solid answer or a finished thread with a result.

My options:
1: Tall(er) covers, (Andersons?) + 1/2" spacer on the Holley Systemax intake + new hood?? I'm using solid mounts so it's going to be sitting a tiny bit lower.
2: A magical pair of valve covers that actually fit the Scorpions AND fit under the Holley AND the elbow (with maybe some massaging from a hammer)

I just spent a bit of money on the garbage PP elbow + a brand new 94-95 BBK cold air, i'd rather not go the fox throttle route because that will be about $300 down the drain. Although it would look sweet... damn it!! :mad:

Any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

you might be able to use fox body valve covers, the only bad thing about that is that your fill tube will be right behind the alternator. i ordered a set of covers from ford motorsport racing, but i had to raise my intake with a spacer.

you might be able to use fox body valve covers, the only bad thing about that is that your fill tube will be right behind the alternator. i ordered a set of covers from ford motorsport racing, but i had to raise my intake with a spacer.

+1 on the fox valve covers. I have them on mine with the fill tube cut down and a push on cap on top. It is hard to see in this picture because the fuel lines run over the top of the cap(help keep it down).

I have a set of Edelbrock Victor valve covers I am putting on this spring, hopefully I can make them work!

cjrpony-albums-engine-pics-picture7286-dscf0221.jpg

Thanks for the ideas! So do you guys run a stock hood with your spacer on your intake? I was thinking about just placing the motor in there and putting a 1/2"block between the intake and taking out the heatshield on the back of the hood to see if it would close.

I saw some blank fox valve covers that have no fill tube and then i saw the fill tube kit that lets you punch out a hole and put the fill tube where you want. Seems like maybe that would be the way to go?

I used to run both TFS standard height aluminum and CompCams Polymer valve covers with my Scorpion rockers but those covers had no baffles under the oil fill hole. I currently run fox valve covers with a modified baffle and a shorter/modified polylock on one of the rockers to clear one of the baffle mounting screws

keep the standard height valve covers and ditch the rockers

get comp pro magnum rockers.

i have them on mine with afr heads and stock height valve covers. they fit under the stockers too, but i wanted more bling

nuff said

I recently went through the same problem, when you order a set of valve covers I highly suggest blank ones where you can put the fill tube where you want. I ordered Ford Racing M-6000-E302 Great looking but it came back to bite me. I'm using a Trick flow R series intake and the Trick flow intake elbow and where the oil fill is it either directly under the throttle body or touching the back of the intake (unless you use 2 inches of spacers) I solved my problem by cutting the oil fill out and putting in a breather.

Thanks for the ideas! So do you guys run a stock hood with your spacer on your intake? I was thinking about just placing the motor in there and putting a 1/2"block between the intake and taking out the heatshield on the back of the hood to see if it would close.

I saw some blank fox valve covers that have no fill tube and then i saw the fill tube kit that lets you punch out a hole and put the fill tube where you want. Seems like maybe that would be the way to go?

i have a 96-98 cobra hood on mine

I am running stock hood with tall FRPP covers , RPM2 intake and 1/2" aluminum spacer from cutting edge (Cutting Edge Parts Home) .Had to ditch the hood insulator , cut inside the hood , cut the EGR flange and cut the throttle body TPS sensor flange .

IMGP1505.jpg

IMGP1526.jpg

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! Scored a set of stock fox covers for $20, waiting for them to arrive. I'll go fancy later on if they turn out to fit ok. I'll post my results when they arrive.

Thanks

We've been through valve cover hell. We just removed the stamp steel AFM covers which use stock bolts in favor of TFS stud & nut covers. Hopefully these will fix our leak.

Either of these covers would work for you. On my 347 I used the AFM covers with no problem (cleared Scorpion 1.6 Stud Mount Rockers). Although these Aluminum TFS covers are really nice looking. Would love to polish these up.

2116e683.jpg

28b08664.jpg

Attachments

• 2116e683.jpg
    2116e683.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 99
  • 28b08664.jpg
    28b08664.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 303