Valvetrain/rocker ticking.

I have this ticking sound from the rockers that I cannot get to go away no matter what I do. A little info on the motor; stock shortblock, E-cam, 1.6 pedistal mount roller rockers, Edelbrock Performer heads, Trick Flow intake, plus all the normal bolt ons.

Now the ticking comes more from the left bank then the right. I've gone though and shimmed, unshimmed, reshimmed the rockers and I cannot get the ticking to go away from the left back. I even plulled the valve covers and ran the motor to narrow down which rockers/valves were causing the ticking. Even with only addressing the noisy ones, the tick is still there. Obvisouly, once I put the valve covers back on, the noise is amplified.

Now, last year I rebuild this motor and had to have one of the heads milled because the old motor sucked a throttle plate screw into on of the combustion chambers. At that time I had both heads stripped and new valve seats installed. Could there me a possibitly that since one head was milled, my pushrods are now too long? There was not much taken off the head, so I don't know if that's really an issue.

Sorry for the long post, but any insight would be great!

Thanks, Craig.

• Sponsors (?)

Ya know, I had the same problem right after I installed edelbrock heads an E303 and fresh lifters. Ticking drove me nuts. I did a lot of the same as you did so I feel your pain! I bought some slightly longer pushrods, took out all the shims, still no change. Finally after maybe 2000 miles ( I don't drive it much) and a lot of high revs, it quit. Looking back, maybe a lighter weight oil would have helped. I'm convinced the lifters had air pockets and wouldn't fill completely. I was using a heavier synthetic oil 15w-50 to keep oil pressure up in my high mile engine. Noone else could help me either. Some ford techs said that even some new ford lifters "tick" and that some resolve and some just need to be replaced.

Doing it again, I'd try a light synthetic oil like a 5w-20 and run that a while. I really think that would be the ticket. Have to watch the oil pressure though.. So annoying. Not sure if it was any help, but I feel for ya.

maybe try to measure for for more acurate pushrod length :

http://www.compcams.com/technical/Catalogs/106-07/249.pdf

Also with the upgrade of your valvetrain it will definately be a bit more noisy , I know my 1.7's and E-cam along with the taller valve covers (like an echo chamber) , when I first started my motor I though I did something drasticaly wrong . I shut it down and readjusted and double/triple checked everything . Car runs perfect , even had a pro give it a once over for me , just a little noisier then the stock set up but no worries .

Good luck!
:nice: