VCT?

• Sponsors (?)

It is continousously variable by something around 32 degrees total. That is it is more sophisticated than the simple 1 step VCT. The amount of cam timing variance depends on RPM, engine load and possibly other factors.

first the plates and VCT are for emissions fist, and performance second.

the system is predictive of load, throttle position,etc. the idea is to control valve events relative to crank position for EGR. that's why there is no EGR like 2v. the total retard the pwm can control is 50 degrees. it looks for opprotunities to get as much EGR as possible. at -8 to -9 degrees the cam is optimized for high rpms. (5000+). it really doesn't have to move until about 3500. the CMC plates help emissions and torque until then.

my 5.4 3v doesn't have vct used yet. i'm going to control it myself. popping it at 4000 - 5000. instead of using PWM i'm going for a constant duty solenoid retrofitted to the spool. the cam gear is going to be mechanically limited to say 6 degrees retard. you can't just set the spool because the start up cam phasing issues that cause noise. besides i need full advance for easy starting. i will post all lof this on the SN-95 stangnet. i have posted the whole 5.4 swap there.

i ran 82 miles an hour the first time at the 1/8th mile track with a stock 5.4 3v. auto and no gear, 65 mm 4.6 TB and inlet elbow. 3452lb car. = 326 fwhp.

i have a short runner intake and 75mm TB. that's going to add power. when i get around to VCT it's going to be fun. until then it's slow as heck.