VERY loud ticking noise coming from engine

bryan0

Jun 9, 2005
Bethel, CT
I have:
1999 GT
68,000mi
Vortech s/c w/ 8psi and a tb+plenum.

In the beginning of the week, i noticed when my car was parked next to another car while running, i coiuld hear the echo of a ticking coming from the engine. I thought it mught just be that i've never heard it before, so i didn't worry about it. Well it keep getting worse and worse until today, i can hear it clear as day while inside and it drowns out the s/c whistle and almost the exhaust. It goes away past 1500rpm but then comes back when the engine slows down. I noticed NO decrease in performance. I really don't have the money to have it fixed if it's more than a few hundred dollars, I'm a student. I did some searching and found it could be a wrist pin. I've never heard of that... Anyways, does anyone have any input on my situation and any routes I should take with it?

• Sponsors (?)

No need to remove the fuel rails, the COPs will come off with the rails in place. Be sure and clean and condition the rubber boots on the COPs when you have them off to check the plug torque. Doing this will make the COP boot seals WAY better and they will actually prevent water and dirt from getting into the plug wells.

damn, so i took out each sparkplug, checked it, and re-torqued it. the engine was still doing the ticking. I checked out the exhaust manifold bolts. it felt like there was a gap between the bolt and the block, but i'm not 100% sure if there was becasue i felt again, and it felt okay. how on earth do you guys reach those bolts? especially the rear 2 on each bank? i can't even see them from the bottom of the car

Just another thought here. I had a 97 4.6l engine that did the same thing you are talking about with the noise that would go away. I couldn't find anything to fix it. i tried the length of hose to try and 'scope out the noise and nothing fixed it. Turns out it was the thermostat that had fallen apart and at low speeds would move around in the housing. I didn't know it was that until it turned on me and jammed causing the engine to overheat...