Vibration hunting!

302GTS

If you need herpes, I'm your man!
Apr 20, 2009
Largo, FL
So, after getting dumps put on my car, I figured it might be an issue with those, but the vibration doesn't occur all the time. Under load it isn't there, and it seems to be speed related (u-joints???). I havn't noticed it at any speed under 40 or so, but when I'm cruising in 4th/5th gear, and I put it in neutral to coast to a stoplight or something, it vibrates. It doesn't feel severe or anything in the seat at all, but the steering wheel shakes a bit. Would this be an issue with u-joints, or maybe just bushings wearing out? The car is a 1995 Mustang GTS, mods in signature - stock suspension.

• Sponsors (?)

With the vibration being felt in the steering wheel, I would say it has something to do with the front suspension.

Depending on the mileage of the car, it's probably something wearing out...

However, if you want to make absolutely sure it has nothing to do with the Flowmasters look and see if they are making contact with the sub-frame rails or driveshaft.

I had that happen before. The driveshaft bolts had come loose at the differential.

Kurt
You know what... Just about a month or so ago, I installed a new TOB... I tightened up the bolts real good, but there was no loctite used, so it definitely seems plausible... I'll give it a good look around! Thanks a lot.

You know what... Just about a month or so ago, I installed a new TOB... I tightened up the bolts real good, but there was no loctite used, so it definitely seems plausible... I'll give it a good look around! Thanks a lot.

And a TOB is what? Throw out bearing? I'm guessing you are thinking that the bell housing and/or tranny mounting bolts might be loose. Would take more than one loose bolt. I would definitely check the u-joints and anything in the exhaust system that might be making contact with the chassis. The steering wheel vibration may be unrelated and be caused by other factors.

And a TOB is what? Throw out bearing? I'm guessing you are thinking that the bell housing and/or tranny mounting bolts might be loose. Would take more than one loose bolt. I would definitely check the u-joints and anything in the exhaust system that might be making contact with the chassis. The steering wheel vibration may be unrelated and be caused by other factors.
Yes, throw out bearing. The reason why I mentioned that is because the driveshaft had to come out to replace the TOB, relating to possibly loose DS bolts. I DID just get dumps installed, so they could possibly be causing the vibrations, among others that they have caused. :rlaugh: I just want to make sure it's nothing serious and/or unsafe.

Vibration

I have a 94 cobra, I had the exact same problem. Mine has 130K, the harmonic balancer was coming apart, I even did a couple of dyno pulls with it wobbling. Unfortunately, it rubbed a hole in my timing cover before I located the problem. These timing covers are really hard to come by too, they are specific to 94-95. I found out this is a common problem with the stock balancer when I was researching it. Just thought it might be something you want to check.

I have a 94 cobra, I had the exact same problem. Mine has 130K, the harmonic balancer was coming apart, I even did a couple of dyno pulls with it wobbling. Unfortunately, it rubbed a hole in my timing cover before I located the problem. These timing covers are really hard to come by too, they are specific to 94-95. I found out this is a common problem with the stock balancer when I was researching it. Just thought it might be something you want to check.
Thanks for the tip, however the balancer is only a few months old. It was replaced back in May with a Pioneer OEM replacement balancer.