• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech

Vibration hunting!

  • Thread starter Thread starter 302GTS
  • Start date Start date Sep 18, 2009
3

302GTS

If you need herpes, I'm your man!
Apr 20, 2009
481
2
18
Largo, FL
Sep 18, 2009
#1
  • Sep 18, 2009
  • #1
So, after getting dumps put on my car, I figured it might be an issue with those, but the vibration doesn't occur all the time. Under load it isn't there, and it seems to be speed related (u-joints???). I havn't noticed it at any speed under 40 or so, but when I'm cruising in 4th/5th gear, and I put it in neutral to coast to a stoplight or something, it vibrates. It doesn't feel severe or anything in the seat at all, but the steering wheel shakes a bit. Would this be an issue with u-joints, or maybe just bushings wearing out? The car is a 1995 Mustang GTS, mods in signature - stock suspension.
 

earleys94gt

Active Member
Aug 31, 2003
1,223
16
49
Ashley, Ohio
Sep 18, 2009
#2
  • Sep 18, 2009
  • #2
With the vibration being felt in the steering wheel, I would say it has something to do with the front suspension.

Depending on the mileage of the car, it's probably something wearing out...

However, if you want to make absolutely sure it has nothing to do with the Flowmasters look and see if they are making contact with the sub-frame rails or driveshaft.
 

revhead347

Apparently my ex-husband made that mistake.
20+ Year Stangneter
Jun 14, 2004
9,303
1,648
214
Acworth, GA
Sep 18, 2009
#3
  • Sep 18, 2009
  • #3
I had that happen before. The driveshaft bolts had come loose at the differential.

Kurt
 
3

302GTS

If you need herpes, I'm your man!
Apr 20, 2009
481
2
18
Largo, FL
Sep 19, 2009
#4
  • Sep 19, 2009
  • #4
revhead347 said:
I had that happen before. The driveshaft bolts had come loose at the differential.

Kurt
Click to expand...
You know what... Just about a month or so ago, I installed a new TOB... I tightened up the bolts real good, but there was no loctite used, so it definitely seems plausible... I'll give it a good look around! Thanks a lot.
 

toyman

10 Year Member
Jul 19, 2007
1,944
54
79
Vernon BC
Sep 19, 2009
#5
  • Sep 19, 2009
  • #5
302GTS said:
You know what... Just about a month or so ago, I installed a new TOB... I tightened up the bolts real good, but there was no loctite used, so it definitely seems plausible... I'll give it a good look around! Thanks a lot.
Click to expand...

And a TOB is what? Throw out bearing? I'm guessing you are thinking that the bell housing and/or tranny mounting bolts might be loose. Would take more than one loose bolt. I would definitely check the u-joints and anything in the exhaust system that might be making contact with the chassis. The steering wheel vibration may be unrelated and be caused by other factors.
 
3

302GTS

If you need herpes, I'm your man!
Apr 20, 2009
481
2
18
Largo, FL
Sep 19, 2009
#6
  • Sep 19, 2009
  • #6
toyman said:
And a TOB is what? Throw out bearing? I'm guessing you are thinking that the bell housing and/or tranny mounting bolts might be loose. Would take more than one loose bolt. I would definitely check the u-joints and anything in the exhaust system that might be making contact with the chassis. The steering wheel vibration may be unrelated and be caused by other factors.
Click to expand...
Yes, throw out bearing. The reason why I mentioned that is because the driveshaft had to come out to replace the TOB, relating to possibly loose DS bolts. I DID just get dumps installed, so they could possibly be causing the vibrations, among others that they have caused. I just want to make sure it's nothing serious and/or unsafe.
 
S

snakevenom1

New Member
Sep 21, 2009
1
0
0
Sep 21, 2009
#7
  • Sep 21, 2009
  • #7
Vibration

I have a 94 cobra, I had the exact same problem. Mine has 130K, the harmonic balancer was coming apart, I even did a couple of dyno pulls with it wobbling. Unfortunately, it rubbed a hole in my timing cover before I located the problem. These timing covers are really hard to come by too, they are specific to 94-95. I found out this is a common problem with the stock balancer when I was researching it. Just thought it might be something you want to check.
 
3

302GTS

If you need herpes, I'm your man!
Apr 20, 2009
481
2
18
Largo, FL
Sep 21, 2009
#8
  • Sep 21, 2009
  • #8
snakevenom1 said:
I have a 94 cobra, I had the exact same problem. Mine has 130K, the harmonic balancer was coming apart, I even did a couple of dyno pulls with it wobbling. Unfortunately, it rubbed a hole in my timing cover before I located the problem. These timing covers are really hard to come by too, they are specific to 94-95. I found out this is a common problem with the stock balancer when I was researching it. Just thought it might be something you want to check.
Click to expand...
Thanks for the tip, however the balancer is only a few months old. It was replaced back in May with a Pioneer OEM replacement balancer.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

L
95 gt engine vibration
  • lenzgt
  • May 11, 2026
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech
Replies
6
Views
318
1994 - 1995 Specific Tech May 26, 2026
lenzgt
L
S
Car shakes when taking off help???
  • STANKYstangs
  • May 10, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
12
Views
442
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- May 27, 2026
LILCBRA
Mustang II 4 cyl gear hunting and possibly messed up vacuum system
  • oesterreicher
  • May 31, 2026
  • 1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech
Replies
11
Views
458
1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech Jun 14, 2026
manicmechanic007
S
Engine Stalls when downshifting/coasting
  • Scott_S
  • Nov 5, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
11
Views
830
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Nov 6, 2025
Mustang5L5
J
'96 Cobra: A/C gets weak and engine misfires under load when warm
  • jruhnke
  • Oct 22, 2025
  • SVT Tech Forum
Replies
2
Views
390
SVT Tech Forum Nov 20, 2025
nickyb
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?