Vintage Air Install Help Needed.

Paul Zofsak

Oct 12, 2014
Hi all, I am installing the vintage air complete system in my 66 coupe. The problem I am having is that the heater hose outlets place the heater hoses running directly into the back of the 289 valve cover. I have had to put a short 90 degree fitting and turn the bottom one towards the fender and will have to route around the engine to the front. The instructions show the hoses coming out above the valve cover with a different routing. Has anyone else run into this issue? Also, the car was an I6 from the factory and was converted to a 289 by the previous owner; if that makes a difference.
If anyone else has had this issue what remedies did you employ?

• Sponsors (?)

tough to see from the pix, and I don't have my stang here to look at, but it appears the heater tubes on the new unit are long enough to bend, are your holes that you drilled for the heater tubes as high as they can be under the dash? I've done a crap-load of AC installations and the pix usually suck. Can you take a pic of your car looking at the firewall with the camera level with that valve cover? You can text me if you want, 508-209-1054

Those hoses where never routed very well from the factory. That kit should use the same hose holes as you factory heater unit used so it will be the same as the factory did it. they've always been kinda tough to route.

I am using the factory holes; agreed, they could have been better placed. See pic below
thumbnail_IMAG1631.jpg

Ok so it looks like the difference is the factory unit the heater core tubes don't protrude thru the firewall so the clamps are inside the passenger compartment which gives you a little more flexibility to bend the hoses. I dont recall my Vintage air protruding thru the firewall like yours is. I will have to look when I get home.

The photo is with the vintage air unit installed. The tubes protrude past the fire wall about two to three inches. With the original setup I was able to route the heater hose on top of the intake, but just barely. The setup I have will probably work, just looks like crap.