Vintage Air or Classic Air

jackson0215

Dec 10, 2009
I have started researching different AC systems and the Vintage Air Gen IV SureFit seems to be considerable less ($880 Summit vs. $1499 for Classic Air). Has anyone used the Vintage Air system and does it work well. I assume there is a difference or it would not be so much less!

I have used the Vintage Air system in Street Rods and they worked great. I have a 67 Fastback with a 390.

Thanks in advance

• Sponsors (?)

I thought you were going to ask about something like this...

012012_25.jpg

http://www.corvetteblogger.com/2012...y-original-tire-air-from-a-1967-l88-corvette/

I installed the Vintage kit about 6 years ago. The electronic controls will definitely be an improvement as the cables were clunky and didn't seem to be long enough. I didn't like how the hose from the compressor to the firewall connection crossed over the top of the engine, looked terrible IMHO. It worked very well though.

If you search this topic there has been much discussion about it. In my personnal experiance working in a restoration shop, I have installed both. The Vintage system twice several years ago-so things may be different now-compared to the Classic system, I found the Vintage system very difficult to install, brackets did not line up or reach mounting points shown in the instructions...and on the two occassions I called Vintage "tech support" I got very little help or resolution. I have installed 6 or more Classic perfect fit systems and have had little to no problems, and great tech support. It fits where it says it should fit, and the instructions are decent. My supervisor ordered one for his 67 Mustang I am assisting with. He opted for the electronic controls which will be a HUGE improvement over the stupid cables...worth every cent.

I have posted this option a few times as well. If you were ever to consider a March serpintine conversion, (expensive) you can flip the condensor 180 degrees and run the lines under the battery tray to the passenger side mounted compressor-under the alternator-very slick. In fact, I called Classic tech last week for my supervisor and they RMA'ed my supervisors compressor for the one that fits the March bracket without batting an eye. No problem! was the response. And shipped for free. Only cost to ship the one back to exchange it.

One last Classic kit tip-the firewall plate can be flipped and put on the lines from the inside power pak unit (evaporator and fan) with grommets, and then the plate fits the firewall hole from the inside. This takes some work and is a bit of a pain, but also looks VERY clean and professional. You need to epoxy some nuts to the inside of the plate and drill the holes out and work 4 lines through 4 grommets at the same time...then you can put some new bolts in all four holes in the stock firewall hole into the plate. One of the holes is a mounting point, the others just get snugged tight for show.

Hope that helps.

are we sure about that pricing?? ..... Summit does sell the 551198 evap kit and calls it a complete kit for $780 -- but the VA catalog calls this the evap only kit and it lacks compressor and controls .... Summit also sells the 951168 kit for $1335 and that is the complete Gen IV SureFit kit .... I fell into that confusion myself and wondered why the VA kit was so much less than CAA package -- it's still higher but not almost 2:1 ..... what am I missing besides new glasses??? .....