violent shake when taking off

notny41

Aug 15, 2004
Minnesota
I have a 1965 fastback with 289 4v 4speed manual with manual steer. Every once in a while when I turn left (at least that's when I have noticed it recently), when I take off real slow and don't rev the engine up enough my car goes into a violent shake until I push the clutch in again and rev a little higher and let it back out.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Thanks - P

Or motor mounts. With the engine idling rev the engine hard a couple time. If you have a bad motor mount the engine will torque over toward the passenger side. The drivers side will lift up a little. The drivers side mount is bad. To fix, you could install a torque strap.

naw,i put my money on a clutch.Mine is doing the same thing now and I know theres hot spots and worn clutch,plus I have new mounts.

yep, I have new mounts too and a torque strap so I'd bet it is the clutch too. I'm not so ambitious as to drop the tranny though. Think I'll just keep driving it for a dang long time before I end up having clutch work done.

Thanks guys!

P

notny41 said:
yep, I have new mounts too and a torque strap so I'd bet it is the clutch too. I'm not so ambitious as to drop the tranny though. Think I'll just keep driving it for a dang long time before I end up having clutch work done.

Thanks guys!

P
just do what I do,when you feel it start to jump,push it back in then slip it so you dont embarass yourself.Its fine if you want to launch it off the line.

My 65 did this before also. And one day while driving to work there was a loud boom noise from the tranny tunnel. I got it to work and home at about 10 mph but could not get up my driveway which has a slight hill. When I pulled the bellhousing off black burnt pieces of my pressure plate fell out. . .Replaced clutch with a kit since and now is fine.