Vortech install, putting drain in pan

1993SSP

Founding Member
Sep 5, 2001
Ky
Hey guys, would it be easier to just drill the hole and tap it or is punching the pan per instructions the better method? Im going to do the install tommorrow

• Sponsors (?)

Ok, thanks!!! Carquest didnt have the 5/8 inch punch GRRRRRR, I'll have to hit the other auto parts stores tommorrow I guess, Also, would you leave the plugs gapped at .035???

instructions say it only requires 2 punches, I have the smaller one, I'll get the other size in the morning and get it installed, cant wait to hear this supercharger!

1993SSP said:
Ok, thanks!!! Carquest didnt have the 5/8 inch punch GRRRRRR, I'll have to hit the other auto parts stores tommorrow I guess, Also, would you leave the plugs gapped at .035???
For the plugs, you should go about 2 heat ranges colder and have them gapped at 0.035.

PLUGS 1 heat range colder, gap at .035"

As far as the punch goes I use a pointed punch which I have marker at the correct diameter so I do not go to far. You need to make sure the punch is short or you will hit the internals. Pack the flutes of the tap full of grease to try to catch any remaining fragments while you are tapping. I also run a magnetic drain plugs to help grab any debris.

If any debris goes into the motor it WILL cause bearing damage, take your time and be careful. Do not make the punch hole any larger then it says or you will have issues. By starting small and geting larger you are folding the metal in the pan in and this is what you are tapping threads into.

is that a return line thats under pressure?? is there a reason they couldn't have made it so you could have atattched it to one of the drain plug holes instead of having to tap a hole in the side of the pan??? or even into a valve cover if it's a return line... just curious..

The return line isn't under pressure, but according to Vortech it has to be installed above the oil level in the pan in order to drain properly. Valve cover wouldn't work either, as the oil would have to flow uphill. The return works just by gravity. Tapping the pan really isn't as bad a job as it sounds though.