vortech intake pipe

JD1964

there is enough sticking out to grab on to
15 Year Member
Jun 28, 2013
Maryland
I have the entry level plastic pipe between the blower and TB. The inside diameter of the pipe at the blower side is barely over 2". The ID of the blower output is 2 1/4". This plastic pipe necks down at the blower end. Can I cut out the narrower portion (aprox 3" lengthwise) at the end and fill it in with a larger diameter hose section? What are the possibilities of loss or gain by doing this? This attempt would be in lieu of buying an expensive replacement pipe.

Thanks

IMG_4906.JPG
IMG_4907.JPG

• Sponsors (?)

3 inches is a lot off that pipe you will be up past where it has the slight bent to curve toward the blower . Why not pull that coupler just trim the sliver off where it must have been touching the blower and hot and did that ?

If not finding a used metal pipe or just spring for the new one man . I can’t see you loosing anything even with pipe the way it is now .

Thanks for the reply. The deformed end in the pipe was always that way. It came out of the box like that.

What I’m wondering is, can I gain any power if the diameter of that plastic pipe at the blower end is slightly larger. The end is tapered. Maybe just cut an inch off and taper the inner edge for a smooth transition.

Couldn’t hurt right? Maybe help a little?

Does anyone have a metal vortech pipe which they can measure the inner diameter of the end the goes towards the blower? That would be helpful.

My observation is that my blower output is 2 1/4”. The end of that plastic pipe is 2”. So I’m wondering if the metal pipe is the same way. If it’s larger than the plastic pipe, I would consider modifying the plastic pipe I have.

Thanks for the reply. The deformed end in the pipe was always that way. It came out of the box like that.

What I’m wondering is, can I gain any power if the diameter of that plastic pipe at the blower end is slightly larger. The end is tapered. Maybe just cut an inch off and taper the inner edge for a smooth transition.

Couldn’t hurt right? Maybe help a little?

Does anyone have a metal vortech pipe which they can measure the inner diameter of the end the goes towards the blower? That would be helpful.

My observation is that my blower output is 2 1/4”. The end of that plastic pipe is 2”. So I’m wondering if the metal pipe is the same way. If it’s larger than the plastic pipe, I would consider modifying the plastic pipe I have.
Ahh I see i thought maybe the heat did that . I can’t see the 1/4 inch hurting that bad at all . Can’t hurt to try though

The pipe being deformed from the factory was a slight bottle neck. I fixed it. There is certainly no bottle neck anymore. Heres the pics.

I cut off about 1"

IMG_4920.JPG

I heated the end with a MAP torch just enough to make it pliable in order to form a slight flare to help the clamp hold on.

IMG_4922.JPG

I used a dremel with a sanding wheel to taper the inner transition.

IMG_4923.JPG

Reactions: 1 users