Vortech Mini Race used as a BOV?

04YELLOWGT

Jun 29, 2005
Indiana
I was talking to a friend today and he was thinking I could use the mini race as a BOV. Would this work? All I would have to do is plug the one hole in the Boost pipe and then let it blow to atmosphere. Is there anything that would not let this work?

• Sponsors (?)

So just get the MAFia thing and it will work?

How much dose that run?

Also will that work with an SCT Tuner?

The Diablo Mafia is about $150-160. I am running that with the 90mm Lightning MAF in a blow thru setup. My tuner kicks ass and like i said, my car runs and drives and idles EXACTLY like stock. I also have my tune on a Xcal 2, my tuner has the SCT software. If i didnt know my car had a supercharger, i would assume it was a stock stang. It idles calmly at 700rpm, it doesnt buck or jerk when you're driving weather you beat on it or drive it like a grandma.

The key is you must vent the air out BEFORE the MAF. IF you vent air after, the engine thinks it is getting X amount of air while it is really getting X - total air vented. This will lead to a very rich condition and in the very short term, cause your engine to stall. In the long term, it will throw off your fuel trims and further add to drivability issues.

I'd love to hear a blow off with the supercharger...although I can't really complain about the whine. It never ceases to put a smile on my face and a scream out of the passenger plastered against the seat. :nice:

I think the concensus here is don't do it. Usually prochargers are the only ones with blow thru setups because they are intercooled. If you don't already have a blow through setup, it would be pretty hard to fab one up unless you wanna cut up your charge pipes and weld on connectors and such. If you want the BOV noise, get a turbo setup.

If your car runs fine now, just stick with it or get another bypass valve that is louder and give your mini-race to me :D Tell your friend to go mess with his own car instead of screwing up yours.

Well here is what got this whole thing started. I never made a bigger hole on my Boost Pipe, I didnt know I had to. So when Im getting my engine put in Im going to plug the one hole and then drill a 1.5in hole and weld the pipe onto it. I was showing him what I had to do. Then he asked me if I could just blow to atmosphere. Then all I would have to do is fill the whole and not have to drill the boost pipe. From what people did Im just gonna keep it the way it is and just drill the new whole. But I have a question about that. How do you plug the orignal hole on the boost pipe? Do you have to cut it off or can you just weld it shut?

So I have to mount the MAF some where after the SC and then the Mini Race between the SC and MAF right.

Correct:nice:

Well here is what got this whole thing started. I never made a bigger hole on my Boost Pipe, I didnt know I had to. So when Im getting my engine put in Im going to plug the one hole and then drill a 1.5in hole and weld the pipe onto it. I was showing him what I had to do. Then he asked me if I could just blow to atmosphere. Then all I would have to do is fill the whole and not have to drill the boost pipe. From what people did Im just gonna keep it the way it is and just drill the new whole. But I have a question about that. How do you plug the orignal hole on the boost pipe? Do you have to cut it off or can you just weld it shut?

The reason for a bigger hole is because the stock one is 1" ID, and the race BOV is 1.6" ID. Also, you will need to weld a flange onto the pipe because it it not a male tube/male tube outlet. (unless your looking at getting the polished Bosch style BOV, which is ABSOLUTE crap.) This is what I assume you are looking at: http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=VEOS&Product_Code=8D204-001&Category_Code=AC

To do a blow through setup you need to install the meter between the SC and intake. to do this W/O and Intercooler setup would require craming a meter and BOV in a VERY small space. It can be done (not with 90mm maf) but will be a pain. Also, extreme temps from the SC could damage the MAF. I have no proof of this but the outlet air temp on a vortech SC can reach over 200 degrees. This is mostly because of heat soak from the engine oil. Basic rule for the vortech is the SC is the same temp as your oil, air is same temp as SC.

2 options:BEST: Do a FMIC. PM me for this route. I have a how-to write up on it along with where to get all the parts and what you would need. Requires basic welding skills and a minium 50amp flux core wire feed welder.

Cheap way: Get a transmission cooler and put it inline on the SC oil feed line. Will lower overall temp of SC. Wont work as good as FMIC, and for $200 more, you could have had a FMIC.

So, if you are just looking at getting the Kachhhhhooo! sound, I would suggest getting a steel power pipe, the race valve i mentioned before, and running the 1.75" hose from it to the power pipe. The larger size and different material will make the sound louder. This is your cheapest and easiest way to increase the noise.

Thanks Rickey but I already have an IC and the mini race is already on. I made the hole bigger on the pipe going from the IC to the TB but I never made the hole on the boost pipe bigger.

I decided to drop the BOV crap and just run what I got. I do need to know how to fill the hole and what size of pipe to weld on to the boost pipe so if some one could help me out with that it would be great.

Also is the MPH Boost Pipe aluminum?

Thanks Rickey but I already have an IC and the mini race is already on. I made the hole bigger on the pipe going from the IC to the TB but I never made the hole on the boost pipe bigger.

I decided to drop the BOV crap and just run what I got. I do need to know how to fill the hole and what size of pipe to weld on to the boost pipe so if some one could help me out with that it would be great.

Also is the MPH Boost Pipe aluminum?

To fill the hole just cut a "patch" out of a similar diameter and thickness piece of pipe. Weld it on. Then fine a way to plug both ends of the pipe. in one plug, drill a small hole to fit a Vac line in snuggly. Use compressed air to pressurize it to about 20psi and put it under water. Look for bubbles. Reweld any pinholes. Then coat the whole thing w/ engine paint.

As for the boost pipe, I'm not sure. I have always made my own.