Want 1999-2004 Mustang For My First Car. Need Advice.

emdianni

Oct 30, 2012
Hello, I'm a little new here, but ill let you know what I need some advice on. I'm turning 17 relatively soon and I'm looking to buy a new car. I would love a mustang, particularly a 99-04 mustang. I have a job and am saving up some money. I currently have 2500 and my parents are willing to match that. For all you math enthusiasts you probably figured out that means i have 5k to buy a mustang. I am just wondering about a few things.

1) V6 vs GT? I would absolutely love a GT, but I'm not sure how thrilled my parents would be with me having a v8. A V6 would be more than fine with me, but i was wondering if the GTs were that much better. How much of a difference is there in insurance cost and gas mileage is my main concern.

2) Automatic vs Manual? I've never driven a manual car before, but a bunch of my friends do and say that its so much more fun. I'm sure learning would be no problem. Are there any other significant differences between the two? MPG, Price etc. I live in more of a city area, but not really. Its hard to explain, but I'm never going more than 5 miles without a stop if that helps.

3) Buying. I figure ill probably find the best deals on craigslist, but i know kbb and auto-trader are pretty good sites too. Should i be buying from a private seller or a dealership? What questions should I be asking them to make sure I'm getting what i pay for? Also, how many miles should a 99-04 mustang that cost 5000 have on it?

Any other input would be appreciated. Also, I expect to put some mods on the car as time passes and I get some money. What mods do you recommend I get?

If there are anymore questions or you would like some additional information on my situation feel free to ask!

Thanks in advance!

• Sponsors (?)

I had a beater for a first car and after 2 years (when I turned 18) I got my mustang. I'd suggest you start with a V6 auto. Don't buy a manual until you're fairly comfortable with it. Nothing like having a car you can't drive. I've driven a few of my friends manuals and I'm still getting the hang of it. I haven't driven a v8 mustang but I hear they're quick so it may be a good idea to start with the v6, although you will eventually get bored of it, its a good idea. Nothing would be worse than getting a v8 stick and wrecking it! I have a 99 v6 automatic and I'm getting a manual v8 next. I don't know about insurance and best places to buy. Sorry.

Not everyone wrecks their first car, I didn't. But as someone else mentioned, you may not want to start with such a nice car just incase!

Maybe I mis-worded that. Maybe not wreck as in completely destroy your :poo:, but more or less something will happen. It's pretty rare (especially now adays) for someone to drive their first car without incident. Something always happens. I didn't wreck mine, but I did put it in a ditch once. Still drove fine, but I still had a....minor accident. Not sure how to classify that one.

Also, front wheel drive is much better for winter. If you're not used to rear wheel drive vehicles, a mustang in winter time will most definitely not treat you well.

im 16 bought my own car by myself for 5200 dollars mine is a 2003 v6 which i love!!!! i beefed up the engine so its just as fast as a GT but still get better gas mialege which matters a lot if you pay for your own gas. BUT mine is an automatic which i hate im a gear head and automatic with the tune i have is fun...but manual gives you so much more control of your car and my opinion way more fun. once you get the hang to drive stick city driving is no problem you get so used to shifting you dont even realise you are shifting. And if i were you i would do the same thing i did. i looked on craigs list and used dealerships for months till i found a good deal and bought my stang. and it was worth every penny. Just keep looking and any v6 with over 100k miles for over 6000 dollars is ether a rip or that car is in very good condition with mods already on it. Hint kelly blue book and carfax will save you lots of money !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i forgot to say my car had 103000 miles on it plus dual straight pipes and aftermarket pioner speakers and radio and i got that mustang for 5200 dollars from a used dealership and i looked on craigs list there are some good deals on mustang and i would buy one now while everyone wants to not have them for the winter... and advice mustang + winter = not that bad if you put sand bags in the trunk and some newish tires just dont drive while its snowing and stomp on the gas or you will end up in a ditch like this other mustang owner who thinks kids cant drive a sports car. if you care about your car you can have fun and do burn outs and doughnuts and not crash your car just dont let a girl drive your car. good luck on finding a mustang

Well the negatives have been pretty well covered. If you can pull off a mustang as a first car (with regards to insurance) and you don't drive like some ricer then they are very dependable cars. If you get one that's not beat to death and has been well maintained you should be in pretty good shape. They don't rust, they make decent power even in v6 form. I auto crossed a 96 v6 , 5 speed for years and was beating the gts, camaros and 350z with regularity. I live in Florida so I have no idea how to deal with snow, it seems to me that if it was me, I'd own a beater or do something else to avoid the salt roads. You can keep the car "stock" for insurance purposes and build a killer suspension system. If you can drive a stick, I'd recommend the 5 speed for sure.

My second car was a 64-1/2 Mustang with a 260 5 speed.

I have a 02 V6 that I bought new. It's a bit of a lemon-hard to fix and parts are very expensive.

I am never buying a V6 ever again. The whole V8 car is much sturdier.

Transmission: get a stick. The gap between automatic and stick MPG has narrowed (the auto used to cost 10% of your fuel economy).

The best part about a stick: nobody will ask you to let them borrow the car! If they do ask you, just tell them if they burn out the clutch they have to buy you a new one. That usually shuts them up.

As far as sourcing, look around a LOT. Don't buy a car with a problem you have to fix!

Don't fall in love with a car if you don't already own it. Always be ready to walk away from any deal.

Another tip: check the driver's side electric window. If it's really smooth it's a good sign that the car is well taken care of. If it rattles going up and down, don't buy the car.

Just a little used car trick.

Get black if you can find one.

Hope this helps!

My first car was my '88 Mustang 5.0.

With that said, if my kid ever told me he wanted a V8 Mustang as his first car...well it wouldn't happen.

So I vote V6 Auto if you must get a Mustang :)

I am a major Chevy lover and my first cars transmission blew up. Needed a car and a friend was selling the mustang I have now, and I would say I like it. I went from a automatic to a manual, and its not that hard to learn how to drive it if you have a person that knows what they are doing teach you. I would get a manual, you feel more one with your car, so to speak, plus you can light the tires up. The major advice I give you is to make the car your own. Don't buy one that already as stuff done to it. There are tons of mustangs out there and there's nothing like pulling up next to another one and your car looks better, and knowing that you did it makes it all that special.

1. If you are purchasing a car to have a car, go with a V6. If you are purchasing a car to have it for a few years, go with a v8. Trust me, you will get bored and spend way more money to upgrade her in the long run. The upgrade "ability" for a GT is much more rewarding in the long run if you plan on putting some money into it.

2. Manual. My first car was a stick and a b**** to learn, but I will never go back. You HAVE to be patient and have someone decent teach you the quick ropes for at least 15 minutes. After that, it's all you. You get better gas mileage, a little more get-up, and allows you to learn early-on. Being the guy who can drive a stick has come in handy a few times. I have a good friend with an auto v6 and after a year or so, he's tired of it. By the way, he doesn't know how to drive a manual.

3. Buying will depend on what you are comfortable with. If you know what you are looking for, neither will be a problem. If you have no idea what you want, you might want to go to a dealership and spend a little extra to have a "choice" - if of course they have a couple of Mustangs to look at.