want more power in my 82 stang

93PONY

Founding Member
Mar 11, 2002
pensylvania
hi i have a 1982 mustang with a 3.8 v6 out of a 1986 mustang. i am wondering if i can use the top end and computer from a newer fuel injected ford, like a thunderbird, couger, or even a 94 or newer mustang. can i do it or would it just be easier to carb it and put a 4 barrel on it? what can i do to make this thing faster without a power adder? want to keep it n/a.

thanks josh

• Sponsors (?)

www.moranav6racing.com makes 4bbl intakes and is the only place for cams for the 86 flat tappet cam

you could swap in a newer injected system from a T-bird but that will really only get you about 30hp more at best

a good 4bbl setup and a morana cam and you should be able to get 175rwhp+ out of it which would really help it out

also i would suggest putting a set of 3.73 gears in the rear

it probably has 2.73 or 3.08 gears in it stock

even 4.10's would be OK

Tom Morana may also be able to supply a set of ported heads with bigger valves for you which would probably make it hit 200rwhp depending on the cam used

give him a call and let him know your goals. he will be happy to help you achieve them

I just got a 1986 Mustang v6 3.8 to and i wanted to do a 5.0 swap but if i can make some good HP out of a v6 well sweet let me know if you have anymore info on thoes 3.8 v6's , thanks