Build Thread Want To Blow 5 Years And $50k On A Foxbody? Step By Step Instructions Inside!

No real progres on my end, but I did have the local powdercoating shop sandblast all my hotside and coldside parts. Even though jet-hot will be blasting the parts themselves, I wanted them cleaned up before I sent them off. This way, I can sand smooth any scratches that sandblasting didn't take away.

Before:
DSC_0203.jpg

After:
DSC_0365.jpg

My oil catch can, valve covers, and coolant overflow are getting powdercoated next week. Should come back a nice, metallic silver with a shiny clear coat.

• Sponsors (?)

Nothing great to report. Been busy lately, and I ran the Tough Mudder on Saturday, so Sunday was very much a day of rest. I did weld up some of the engine bay last week though. Once I get more done, I'll post pictures of that.

I'm sending out the piping to Jet-Hot tomorrow. It was all a little more expensive than I thought it would be to get everything coated, but I think it will be well worth the cost. Being that I'm getting the polished 1300 degree coating, the rep said that the headers might dull out depending how much I drive the car. I guess I will just have to wait to see what happens to them after a while. If I need to re-coat them in a few years with the black 2000 degree stuff, it won't be such a big deal. Maybe I'll get over my shiny header syndrome by then :confused:

Nothing great to report. Been busy lately, and I ran the Tough Mudder on Saturday, so Sunday was very much a day of rest. I did weld up some of the engine bay last week though. Once I get more done, I'll post pictures of that.

I'm sending out the piping to Jet-Hot tomorrow. It was all a little more expensive than I thought it would be to get everything coated, but I think it will be well worth the cost. Being that I'm getting the polished 1300 degree coating, the rep said that the headers might dull out depending how much I drive the car. I guess I will just have to wait to see what happens to them after a while. If I need to re-coat them in a few years with the black 2000 degree stuff, it won't be such a big deal. Maybe I'll get over my shiny header syndrome by then :confused:

Once you go black,........You just got "advised" that you may have a reaction if you get the headers too hot, and you're still going forward?
As pretty, and as involved as the rest of your engine compartment is gonna be,..I'd just forego the future satin/once gloss coating, and go w/ the coating that's intended for ultra-high heat applications. Why do it twice as 'spensive as it is?:nonono: The only people that are gonna look at your headers are the ones that'll ask why they're so dull.

All very good and logical points you have there Mike. I'm all about the "do it right the first time" mantra, and this does go against that. There is a relatively considerable price difference between the 1300 coating and the 2000 coating, and I am more than likely going to be wrapping the headers at some point down the road anyway, so one way or another I will lose my pretty headers. I won't lose sleep at night when they turn satin. And even though I mentioned it above, I doubt I'll care enough to get them re-coated. I just talk a big game sometimes :rolleyes:

Here are the parts I got back from the powdercoater. The harsh light does the coating no justice. This stuff sparkles and shines like crazy in the sun.

DSC_0372.jpg

DSC_0369.jpg

DSC_0370.jpg

DSC_0376.jpg

DSC_0377.jpg

DSC_0378.jpg

Also a picture of the DEI plug wire sleeves. Not only are they functional, but they look nice too. They were a complete b*tch to get over the 10mm Taylor wires though. They're each essentially one long Chinese finger trap. I even called DEI for some advice to speed the process, but they had nothing constructive to offer.
DSC_0379.jpg

See,...all that stuff right there will never allow the eye to wander. Matter of fact,...there is so much silver going on.......maybe a little contrast will be a good thing.;)

Nawwww,...You gotta plan. Far be it from me to try and convince you to change an otherwise excellent project.
Y.G.B!:nice:

I very much value the opinion of you and (mostly) everyone else on this board. It's one of the main reasons why I started a build thread. If it were just a matter of calling Jet-Hot and telling them to change the coating, then I'd make the call first thing tomorrow. In this case, it's also a couple hundred dollars extra to change, so I'm taking the "screw it" route for now. Maybe I'll just push the car on and off a trailer everywhere I take it. Then the headers (and the rest of the car) will stay beautiful! :jester:

Yea, I think it took me about 2 hours to just get the sleeves on. Had some good blisters on my thumbs when I was done too. The funniest part was DEI asked me to let them know if I figured out an easy way to get the sleeves on, becuase they had no solutions. Hair spray worked for about the first 10 inches, and then it dried up and made things worse. I still need to get a small length of plug wire to make a custom piece to go to the coil. The piece I have right now is too short. Can't wait to sleeve that piece too :rolleyes:

Time for some more engine whoring. This time with a few more accessories added

DSC_0385.jpg

DSC_0388.jpg

DSC_0398.jpg

DSC_0399.jpg

DSC_0401.jpg

The only issue that I found with the pipes from Jet-Hot was a dent in the end of my downpipe :fuss:. It's easy enough to bend it back into position though. You can see it in this picture
DSC_0389.jpg

The rest of the pipes came out nice too
DSC_0402.jpg

Call me ignorant, but I did not know Jet-Hot coated the inside of the pipes as part of their standard service. I though it was an "option" that you had to ask for. I didn't plan on coating the inside of mine, but every single pipe I got back was coated inside and out. I'm not complaining, I just didn't expect it. That definitely justifies the cost of getting the pipes coated. They really did do a nice job on them.

I'll be welding up the engine bay this weekend and hopefully on Monday as well being that I'm off for the holiday.

MY GAWD!!! :hail:

That engine is beautiful and intimidating at the same time.

I have read through every page and I am amazed at your abilities. You have me wanting to buy a welder and build a turbo Mustang even though I have never welded or built a motor in my life. :(

While that dent isnt a huge issue, like you stated, it would annoy me that it made it through their shop with no one noticing. I guess it could have been done during shipping...

Thanks man. I had a lot of fun doing the turbo piping. Welding is definitely something I enjoy doing more and more. The more I do it, the better I get at it. I'm still not very good at welding really thin stuff though. I've been burning a lot of holes through the sheet metal in my engine bay as I work on it.

I don't think the bent pipe is Jet-Hot's fault completely. They did a really nice job of wrapping up all the pipes in the box. I just think it was sitting in a vulnerable spot and the box probably got dropped or thrown on something. Not a big deal.

So,....after I look at the end result of the coated pipes, I can't blame you for selecting the shiny finish......sprayed on chrome that doesn't turn blue, and actually has some heat insulation benefits.:nice:

Again, you are a welding fool. It doesn't take a Rocket Scientist (or even an electrical engineer;) ) to see that the finished product is gonna be jaw dropping. If some cloud opens up, and money falls out of the sky above me, solving my need to sell,...you'll force me to re-do the whole damn car just to keep up w/ you.

DAMN YOU!
DAMN YOU TO HELL!:fuss:

Reactions: 1 user
Lol. I'm glad you approve Mike.

By the way, after that cloud opens up on you, tell it to come my way. I'm in need of some raining money too. I'm actually selling some toys to open up some funds so I can actually get this thing painted this year.

More progress will be made tonight (I promise).

In the meantime, I am beginning my fuel system research. I am going to need a full system that will support 1000 flywheel horsepower. Depending on the boost level, I'm hoping to be in the 750-800rwhp range, so a 1000hp system will be necessary. I've heard mixed reviews about some of the Glenn's sumped. Issues with their tanks pinching vent lines and such. So, I'm leaning towards a BBRC tank. It's aluminum and comes with straps, so when I compare it to the cost of the Glenn's tank with new SS straps and a new cover, it's actually less even when I add in the cost to powdercoat it.

http://www.behindbarsracecars.com/Aluminum-fuel-tank-Mustang-p/bbrcm8793-14.htm

I'm also liking the new Fuelabs electronic pump and regulator that they have available.

http://fuelab.com/virtuemart/prodigy-fuel-pumps/41401-prodigy-fuel-pump-high-pressure-efi-in-line
http://fuelab.com/fuel-pressure-reg...tors/52902-electronic-fuel-pressure-regulator

A -10AN feed with -8AN return should suffice, I think. I'm just not completely schooled on fuel system design, so I'm not sure what the best layout would be. I have a pair of BBRC fuel rails with -8AN fittings, so I would like to utilize those. I've been weighing a dual pump setup, but I'm not sure if that's any better than a quality, street-friendly, single pump. Any thoughts?