Build Thread Want To Blow 5 Years And $50k On A Foxbody? Step By Step Instructions Inside!

• Sponsors (?)

Bah. C'mon Mike, haven't you ever heard of welding blankets?? Besides, just about all my welding gets done on the other side of the garage.

Bentley, the floor is MuscleGloss. It's been down for about 3 years. Holding up great, cleans easily (as Mike has apparently noticed). Even aircraft paint removed dropped on top of it didn't do anything to it.

The stuff at the home improvement stores is water-based and lays down very thin in a similar manner to a wall paint. You have to apply multiple coats to get good coverage. The coating I used is a 100% epoxy solids base. It is much thicker and actually chemically bonds to the concrete when the two parts are mixed together and rolled out. I needed to use a squeegee to spread it around the floor before rolling it because of how thick it is. The water-based paint is prone to hot-tire lift and has a much better chance of peeling up or getting damaged, and it also does not clean as easily. A few of my neighbors used the stuff from home depot and it's obvious to see the difference. The musclegloss is definitely more expensive, but you get what you pay for. I wouldn't hesitate to use it again.

Reactions: 1 user
My S&B air filter showed up this week. Thanks to Rick for locating one with an angled neck. I test fit the passenger fender to make sure everything will clear inside of it, and I think I'm going to be fine. I just need to test fit the intercooler one last time to make sure my coldside piping will clear the inside of the fender. Pictures to come soon. My weekend goal is to get done what I need to so I can get the engine out and back on the stand.

LOL.....I removed a large portion of my inner fender and was plotting on using my fathers sheet metal roller to fill it in. I mught hold off and just weld portions around the turbo cut-out. Keep the pics coming:nice:

Got a small amount of work done today. I checked clearances between the air filter, coldside piping and fender. All is well. It's tight, but it will fit.

(that's what she said) :eek:

Here are some pictures:
DSC_0339.jpg

DSC_0337.jpg

DSC_0336.jpg

Obviously, I can't have pieces of cardboard filling up the space in the hole for the discharge tube, so I cut some pieces and welded them in to tighten up the opening.
DSC_0342.jpg

DSC_0345.jpg

DSC_0346.jpg

Finally, everything is all tacked together and ready to be fully welded:
DSC_0348.jpg

Engine is coming out tomorrow...

Definitely better than the big hole I used to ensure there were no clearance issues. I'd post a pic if I could figure out how with the new forum setup. How are you mounting the IC? I'm not a huge fan of HP's one bracket hanger like I currently have.

The entire coldside is 3". That includes the outlet diameter of the compressor housing.

Good progress as usual, WeldieWanKenobi. :D
When are we gonna get to see a pic of what that hole looks like all blended in after you weld the **** out of it?

I hope I can weld the :poo: out of everthing this week. That includes the rest of the holes in the engine bay that will be smoothed out. I just need to pick up some 18 ga steel. I have some 16 ga laying around, but it's so much easier to work with 18 ga when trying to cut out circles with tin snips.

Engine is now out along with the trans, k-member, and IRS subframe. It's back to a shell...once again. I forgot that I had the cherry picker at the 1 ton mark instead of extended out to the 1/2 ton mark, so I was barely able to lift the engine high enough so the oil pan would clear the inner fender. I wouldn't have been pleased if I had to lower the engine back down again to adjust the hoist.
DSC_0351.jpg

DSC_0355.jpg

DSC_0360.jpg

I did manage to fab up some brackets to mount my Taurus fan to my radiator. Took me longer than expected, but I move slow. I would be a terrible shop employee.
DSC_0363.jpg

DSC_0354.jpg

DSC_0362.jpg

Like I mentioned in the previous post, I should be able to get some welding work done this week in the engine bay. I'm probably looking at a 60hr work week though, so that may be easier said than done!

Yea, a member on here suggested it to me. I like it a lot. I think I'm going to have it powdercoated to match my intake manifold and valve covers. The brackets will be powdercoated as well. I figured the more natural aluminum I can avoid, the better. I really don't want to deal with the upkeep of it.