Want to Buy 01-04 GT, What Problems Should I be Aware of?

• Sponsors (?)

no one's filling him in with the biggest modular mustang GT problem..... the mod bug

:) I'm allllll too familiar with this problem. If you haven't noticed from my picture....my 65 fastback is ffaaarrrrrrr from stock.

But in all honesty I just want to make this potential mustang fun. Nothing pushing the limits, just fun.

On that note I was anticipating installing: Sparco leather front seats, short throw shifter (still deciding what's best), Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch, some intermediate road race suspension, SLP Loudmouth cat-back, and various chassis bracing..............I figure that those are some solid "fun-factor" mods that will tide me over for a bit....I don't plan on adding boost to the thing, so it should last for a while....

THANX for all the feedback guys! I really appreciate it.

:) I'm allllll too familiar with this problem. If you haven't noticed from my picture....my 65 fastback is ffaaarrrrrrr from stock.

But in all honesty I just want to make this potential mustang fun. Nothing pushing the limits, just fun.

On that note I was anticipating installing: Sparco leather front seats, short throw shifter (still deciding what's best), Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch, some intermediate road race suspension, SLP Loudmouth cat-back, and various chassis bracing..............I figure that those are some solid "fun-factor" mods that will tide me over for a bit....I don't plan on adding boost to the thing, so it should last for a while....

THANX for all the feedback guys! I really appreciate it.

I just passed 50K on my '03 and no problems yet. If they are maintained they seem to be very good cars.

Regarding your anticipations:
MGW is the best shifter,
the clutch is only needed with added power... or if you buy one that needs replacement...
Griggs is the high end track suspension,
MM is a very good road suspension... you should get your Subframe conectors here also.

Slp exhaust is very loud paired with an o/r h or X... listen to clips online to see what you like. Each brand sounds very different.

Good luck and show pics when you get the new Stang!

Matt

on my 01, it was problem free up until the 5 year ext warranty ran out (around 65k miles). Then this happened:

IAC valve went bad, causing the car to have odd idle and to die at bad times. Stealership got me for nearly $350 on that :mad: Could have done it myself for under $50

a few months later, it was getting check engine lights. Wife said she could smell gas often (not mine!). Turned out, a seal around the filler neck was bad. Another $400

This summer, went to change the front pads. Car has 70k miles, original pads. Ended up having to change out the routers and calipers. Did it all myself for about $300

It really pisses me off that NOTHING happened until the ext warr ran out. Literally, the warr ran out in March, problems started in May

Literally went over 100k for me today. Bought my 03 GT in May 04 with 6300 and turned 106300 on the way to work. Have had no major probs. Replaced pads and rotors around 80-85k. Only annoyance was the #3 coil would throw a code for a little while then would go away on its own. Oh yeah, the CD player jammed (probably my fault) w/3 discs in it, bought an IPOD w/adapter to solve the prob. Get one, it's lots of fun.

Buddy

Oh man I felt bad that I just rolled over 60,000. I bought my car in 05 with 33,000 on her. I put about 28k over the 2 years I have had her. I see lots of people running way over 100k, now I don't feel as bad. Anyways I had my IAC go bad but thats about it. I'm going to be adding a S/C come spring:D .

Keep the comments rolling! My only beef with the GT mustangs is the interior. I'm use the the full leather apointments of my S2000 and unfortunately the GT just doesn't measure up......SO I started taking a closer look at the Mach 1's....and welp, I think I have my eye on a grabber blue '04 =) ......So I think I might try to find one with relatively low miles for around 17-18K

Bought an '03 GT for $7,600 with 10,000 miles on it a few months ago! I can't really say how reliable it is since I bought it to convert it to a road racer but just driving it stock for the last few months prior to my converting the suspension was pretty fun! Haven't really had a problem with it at all.

I've never owned a Mach 1 so I can't really tell you the good or the bad on that model but I really like the GT.

I can comment on how the stock GT performs on the track. Lot's of understeer that goes in to snap oversteer if you're not careful. I installed a MM Max Grip Box on it and it is night and day as far as handling. It got rid of all those problems and now the car drives like a shifter cart! I'm installing 4.10's, Posi and 31 spline axles along with MAC long tubes/Pro chamber mid/Flowmaster 40's in the next week. I also have Wilwood SLP6 Big Brake Kit in front and SLP4 kit in back!

The mod motor is pretty torquey which makes it real fun to drive.

I put some Corbeau FX1's for seats and took out the rear seat and tire.

John

Keep the comments rolling! My only beef with the GT mustangs is the interior. I'm use the the full leather apointments of my S2000 and unfortunately the GT just doesn't measure up......SO I started taking a closer look at the Mach 1's....and welp, I think I have my eye on a grabber blue '04 =) ......So I think I might try to find one with relatively low miles for around 17-18K

+1 if you can get a 03-04 mach 1 or 01 cobra go for it and don't look back.