Was looking under back of car and the rear struts appeared loose? Explanation inside

5spd GT

"the 5.0 owns all"
Founding Member
Aug 7, 2002
Arkansas
Well I was looking under my car today and on both of the rear struts (attached to the rear end) that go practically straight up and down...the bottom bolts that go through them had like an 1/2 inch of play where they didn't fit snug against strut...is their supposed to be that play in there...

Both of them are identical...just curious if they are supposed to be like that...

Thanks for any input...

• Sponsors (?)

they are shocks not struts.
Sounds like maybe the bushings rotted away. Shocks are easy to change.

5.0Droptop said:
they are shocks not struts.
Sounds like maybe the bushings rotted away. Shocks are easy to change.

Then shocks it is... :nice:

Do you see any problem with just tightening them up?

I'm installing those valvecovers Saturday...I'm tired of that leak...

ratrapp said:
get some kyb gas a just or the gr2s.both are a good upgrade from stock plus they don't cost alot.

Well I was wanting to get some Bilsteins eventually...I'm so low on money right now...I wish I could stop putting money into my car but I can't stop :bang:

The back Bilsteins aren't expensive...they are like $90 a piece...would that hurt anything to run the worn out struts/shocks up front with these Bilstein shocks in the back?

ratrapp said:
it wouldn't hurt anything but if your planning on spending $180 for 2 rear shocks then you could get all four shocks and struts from kyb for about the same price.

Well I'd get the fronts a month or so later...

Bilsteins are worth it, save for those instead of wasting your money on the KYB's....if your car is lowered at all, the KYB's will give you a lousy ride. My Eibach/Bilstein combo is stiff enough to handle well, and can be slightly harsh on really crappy roads, but rides super-smooth on most roads.

Ash

even if you tighten them up, you might encounter noise and wear out the mounts a bit (hogging out the holes when the shock compresses and rebounds hard). just something to keep an eye on (though i would recommend replacements instead of driving it like that).

good luck.

93 teal terror said:
I tried doing that: replacing the shocks and not the struts and man did the car handle weird. I finally gave in and replaced the struts too. Boy what a difference. Koni reds are great shocks/struts.

So it would be better to replace the struts first right...I've got some body work to get fixed and I need to get tires first... :bang: