Was This One Of Our Members...Ouch !!!

Curious on how you guys perceive the cage or no cage on street car debate.
Is it safer? My guess for a roll over it is.
But for occupants with no helmet on, does it just give you what is likely a closer hard object to hit your head on?

That's a toughy :p Personally, I think if you can install a 6 point cage where the main hoop is kept far enough away from your head so it doesn't contact it in an accident it's ok. This is hard to do in a foxbody due to how tight the interior is (and how tall you are), so the main hoop would have to be pretty far behind you which requires it to lean back quite a bit since your bottom post mount can only go back so far. I also think it would be surprising to people to see how much you move around in an accident (especially a rollover) and how much room you would need to give. Hit your head hard enough on a roll bar (with or without padding) without a helmet and you're pretty much dead. Belts are made to stretch (both 3 point and 5 point harnesses) otherwise they would remove limbs or cut you in an hard enough accident.

Lot's of variables to consider so I don't think there is one easy answer. If I were building a purely street mustang I would stick to proper through floor subframes, matrix bracing, and possibly an additional rocker panel bar run inside of the existing rocker panel that mounts to a vertical bar by your feet that ties into the upper cowl. Then some additional foot protection bracing from vertical bar to the footwell area. Past that, another bar from that vertical bar that ties into the strut mount. This woudl give you side and foot protection, as well as stiffen the core of the vehicle while not putting any bars by your head.

I hit my head on a rollbar once, in a full 5 point harness with helmet on, and it rocked my world. It had padding as well.

• Sponsors (?)

Not all roll bars are created equal. Make sure you pick a good one

5A4E2739-A194-4409-A019-67885EF6CB9F.jpeg

If you can’t see it, the roll bar on this s197 punched thru the floor

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Curious on how you guys perceive the cage or no cage on street car debate.
Is it safer? My guess for a roll over it is.
But for occupants with no helmet on, does it just give you what is likely a closer hard object to hit your head on?

Didn't you also mention child seats?

I would think a couple of rear-facing seats inside of an 8-point and firmly attached to the rail would be suitable for outrunning most natural disasters. :nice:

You could always go the MadMax route too. :D

Reactions: 1 user
That would be an improperly installed roll bar. That's one of the reasons I like to use step boxes on the rolls bars that I've put in for people. #1 it allows you to move the roll cage around while it's in the car to get the top welded properly and keep the bars as close to the body as possible. #2 is provides a crush structure that absorbs some of the impact in a roll over and more surface area to weld to the body which both helps prevent punch through.

Like this (these were for my E30)

IMG_20150125_121045.jpg

IMG_20150126_130851.jpg

Reactions: 4 users