water pump removal?

stangkid88

Nov 11, 2005
Seattle area
I am trying to replace my water pump, but I've run into a problem. I've removed both the power steering pump/bracket, alternator (replacing with 1 wire), and fan+shroud, but how do I disconnect the hub which is attached to the front of the water pump and drives the power steering belt? The only visible thing is a sunken nut in the middle, but I don't see any way to grip it. Please help, every minute spent working on the car is less time driving it, thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

The four fan bolts go through the pulley and hold it in place. Once the fan (and spacer, if you have one) is off, the pulley should come off the center alignment stud. However, they usually bind and have to be coaxed off with a rubber mallet. I had to do this with mine a couple weeks ago.

krash kendall said:
The four fan bolts go through the pulley and hold it in place. Once the fan (and spacer, if you have one) is off, the pulley should come off the center alignment stud. However, they usually bind and have to be coaxed off with a rubber mallet. I had to do this with mine a couple weeks ago.

reminds me of a something my grandfather used to say

"don't use force, get a bigger hammer!"

krash kendall said:

That sounds like what I will need to do. I removed the four fan bolts to get the fan off, and the spacer is still on the pulley and all I can see is that center alignment stud.

This isn't a recent pic, but here is a pic of the pulley I am trying to get off.
dsc034902tu5.jpg

I will try using a mallet later today. Thanks so far for everyones help.

Attachments

• dsc034902tu5.jpg
    dsc034902tu5.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 82
when i replaced mine some months ago i had to removed the water pump with the pulley because i couldnt get it off. When it was out, as the others said, had to give it some whacks until it pop off.

off-topic question: where did you get that rad?