Engine Water pump rotation on 1984 5.0 lx

Sdar

Jul 1, 2022
San diego
Hi. I apologize if it was asked here before.
I'm trying to figure out the correct water pump for my brother in law 1984 mustang 5.0 lx.
I called the dealer with my Vin and was told the E5ZZ8501A. On rockauto this number crosses to both standard and reverse rotation pump. Fan blade look reversed compared to a 1967 dodge with v belt I have sitting around. And the original pump looks like it's revered rotation. So everything indicates to reverse rotation.
Did the car originally came both standard and reverse rotation?
This car is a convertible with air conditioning. Does that have anything to do with it?
I'm attaching a photo of the original water pump.
Thanks in advance for all your input.

Attachments

• 20220701_090140.jpg
    20220701_090140.jpg
    552.5 KB · Views: 44
  • Sponsors (?)

What side of the belt touches the pump pulley? If the back of the belt touches the pulley, its reverse. If the ribs of the belt touch the pulley, its normal. All the factory pumps I've seen have been reverse, but I'm not certain about 1984.

What side of the belt touches the pump pulley? If the back of the belt touches the pulley, its reverse. If the ribs of the belt touch the pulley, its normal. All the factory pumps I've seen have been reverse, but I'm not certain about 1984.
Pully is smooth, water pump is revered for sure by the way the fan blades are tilted.
I finally found a water pump that's reversed and the back plate matches the timing cover, it should be here Wednesday.
Thanks

Reactions: 1 users
The first pump I ordered was standard, the second was reversed but for a different timing cover. From the photos of the pump I'm pretty sure I should be getting the right one this time around.
Cir. 92, I had a parts store manager and assistant manager that got this mixed up in their V-8 bracket race Nova engine swap. (The engine later ended up in a pos Monza and was a street terror.)
I’m glad you asked before it was puking coolant in the driveway when you were trying to burp the system.