Water Temperature Sending Unit

Strype

Cuthbert catcher
Founding Member
May 11, 1999
Huntsvegas, AL
Hey guys,

Awhile back I took the temp sensor out of the lower intake (drivers side) and replaced it with an autolite gauge...

Does the computer use that water temp sensor or is it strictly for the factory hot/cold gauge?

• Sponsors (?)

there is two wire on that sender correct?i am installing a autometer as well and just want to confirm correct sending unit!also where would i put the sender for a oil temp gauge?

yup got all the pieces just want to be sure where they go!i read that some senders have one wire?the sender i am looking at is driver side near front of motor on lower intake and has a plug with two wires goin in,is this the stock water temp sending unit?

nevermind....went out and looked and NOW i see the one wire sender!duh!anyway about the oil temp sender...where can i put that?dont want to replace presure with temp,want both!!

The two-wire sensor is the ECT. It's on the passenger side.

The one-wire gauge sender is on the driver's side.

For oil temp, tapping the pan is one solution.

You could also try to use the low-oil-level-sender hole for a temp sender. It would require some funky adapters to do it but that would be a little cleaner.

I know this is an older thread, I want to put in a mechanical water temp gauge in my 92 GT. I know there is a sensor that feeds the computer, is there another sensor that drive the gauge and if there is; where is it?

Thanks

Dave

The sender for the gauge is in the driver's side front of the lower intake. It's got one wire going to it.

Alternate placement for a temp gauge sender: Use the heater feed that comes off the intake manifold. Cut the rubber hose that connects the manifold water feed to the heater and splice in a tee adapter for the temp gauge sender. Be sure to use the same water feed line as the ECT sensor. That way you will get the most accurate temp readings.

Tee adapter info:
Make a pilgrimage to your local hardware or home supply center and get some copper pipe and a tee that fits the temp gauge sender. Solder two pieces of copper pipe onto a copper pipe tee with threads in the tee part. Find the correct brass fitting to match the temp sender threads to the tee fitting.

attachment.php