watter from exhaust?

chucks1967

Jul 3, 2006
I recently replaced my intake with a performer, and now Im getting moisture out of my exhaust. actually its not a lot, but when i rev the engine and look behind the car, there is a wet splotch under each pipe with black carbon... I was thinking it was anti-freeze, and it was leaking arround the intake gasket, but its not anti-freeze at the exhaust, well it dosent smell like it, and its not green. Just pure water. any help?

• Sponsors (?)

two possibilities;

1: it is mere condensation due to more efficient combustion, and is nothing to worry about.

2: the intake gasket is leaking. replace it, put a thin coat of rtv around the coolant passages on both sides of the gasket, and torque the intake to 30ft/lbs in three steps.

If it was not doing it before the intake swap...
Is the coolent level in the radiater dropping? If it is, then you have a leak. Check that first, but it sounds like you will find the radiater level getting low.

Rbohm is right with #1. The water is usually just a byproduct of combustion--normal and expected. You might not have noticed it before. If you don't smell antifreeze burning and don't notice it disappearing, I wouldn't worry about it. When the engine warms up, you won't see it anymore (although it will still be there).

It's also possible that your sparkplugs will be clean if you're sucking coolant.

However, my '68 puffs quite a bit of steam when it's cool out and loses no coolant. Actually, all my cars do that. It's a normal byproduct of an oxidation reaction like burning fuel. There is hydrogen in the fuel and oxygen in the air, so a lot of it becomes H2O.