Way to reset gauges???

redlined94

Jun 27, 2004
Illinois
This might sound like a dumb question but I just picked up a mustang again after owning a truck for almost 3 years. Anyways, the car (98 Mustang GT) came with some cheap aftermarket gauge face that lights up and whoever installed them took no effort in setting the gauges right, i cruise 40 mph and it says im going 70, gas gauge is off bad, oil pressure says i am maxed out, temp doesnt even warm up etc.. Is there a way to reset the gauges or am I going to just have to pull them off and try to get them as close as i can. I appreciate any input fellas, been out of the stang game for a while and tryin to get back into it.

• Sponsors (?)

fill up your gas tank first. Let it sit over night. take the cluster out and take the clear plastic cover off and reinstall the cluster (minus the bezel and clear pastic cover). turn the key to the on position (DONT start the car) pull the speedo needle off and set it so it rests against the stop. set the tack to 0rpms. set your temp gauge to the COLD thick white stripe. set your oil pressure to LOW. set the battery to the mid position and the Fuel to the full position. that should fix it for you. start the car before you re-assemble everything and make sure you speedo doenst jump up a little.

I'm surprised that he was able to install it with it being that much off. That is an insane amount :rlaugh:

There is a few write-ups on how to remove the cluster. Just take your time with the headlight knob as that'll be the most frustrating part of it.

the speedo needle off and set it so it rests against the stop. start the car before you re-assemble everything and make sure you speedo doenst jump up a little.

Not Quite!

(Well everything else was right, Darkside I'm not trying to be an ass)

For the Speedo to set it correctly you actually have to pull the stop out and install it like 1/8" (approx) below where the post was, push the needle up and re-install the pin. If you don't you will find yourself driving too slow.... at least on my 03 (verified by a friendly officer and multiple passes) that was the case. To verify, find a speed zone where there is a radar trailer setup to verify (they are accurate to within like 3 mph with no other traffic (Mine was 5mph off doing the rest against the post method))

As to the other gauges, if youhave a handheld you can see what the RPMs are and get it pretty close, but usually its around 650 RPM at idle and no accessories on.

Now Temp guage, if the car has been running for a while, dead center will work. The thing isn't accurate even stock. It's just a dummy needle.... as in HEY DUMMY, I'm OVERHEATED

Volt guage goes about dead center as well.

Fuel guage, best way is full tank of course as stated.

it seems that the tach is the only gauge that is halfway right. thanks for the tips though and thanks Jinx for that link, I have been wondering how that headlight knob pops off. I plan on buying a programmer for it here soon, any suggestions on best one for reasonable price?

it seems that the tach is the only gauge that is halfway right. thanks for the tips though and thanks Jinx for that link, I have been wondering how that headlight knob pops off. I plan on buying a programmer for it here soon, any suggestions on best one for reasonable price?

Depends on where you want the car tuned, IMO find the most reputable Mustang tuner you are willing to drive to and get the programmer that is compatible with their software.

In the end the programmers are more or less the same. There are some extended user end features on some the others don't have, but the tuners software is not as limmited as the handheld end of things.