Paint and Body WD 40 & a Scotch Brite pad

justin82

Sep 14, 2017
went to take emblems off...used wd40...this is what happened....any ideas how to fix it?...make it glossy again?

thanks
20180801_161034.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Sponsors (?)

well, I trust you guys, that's why I ask...I will in a few days...u think that's all I did was rub the clear coat off?....pic isn't the greatest

It’s hard to tell what the problem is. Have you had it painted recently?

Do what Bill suggest and run a buffer over it.

So you just sprayed WD40 on it to lubricate the removal? Possibly to soften the glue from the two sided tape?

It’s not easy to tell just from pictures. Does the surface in the affected area still feel smooth?

I would wait for dave to respond, he is our resident paint expert, I'm thinking you'll have to use some kind of wax and grease remover before buffing, you may just be smearing the oils around and doing damage to the paint. I doubt wd40 will remove the clear coat but again I'm no paint expert. Heck, I'm not even a paint amateur.

Based on that, it’s the scotchbrites. Those are scratches. It would be good to procure some 1500-2000 grit, wet sand the area, then buff.

Reactions: 1 user
Any detail shop should be able to do that with the normal details. Basically they will lightly sand the area with a high grit paper, then buff with a compound them a polish. It’s just light scratches from the scotch bright . I’ve fixed similar with just a buffer and generic polish

Reactions: 1 users
Any detail shop should be able to do that with the normal details. Basically they will lightly sand the area with a high grit paper, then buff with a compound them a polish. It’s just light scratches from the scotch bright . I’ve fixed similar with just a buffer and generic polish
thanks!