Weight difference Alum and Copper/Brass

1Slow90coupe

Oct 18, 2005
Anyone know the weight difference between your average two row aluminum and a three row copper brass radiator.

I am debating between the FMS two row alum, and a three row copper brass from the local parts store. What would you buy?

• Sponsors (?)

i have an all aluminum tig welded rad and it didn't seem much heavier than the stocker i was replacing. i would go with aluminum. in the past when i have used aluminum rads they didn't seem to scale up and get all cruddy as fast as a copper one.

I bought a parts store 2 core (it was all they had at the time).

My t-stat has stuck open a few times and the coolant temps hit the low 180s. This tells me that my 197F stat is actually limiting how cool my temps are.

jason

I'm willing to bet the weight difference is more a result of the amount coolant it can hold than the actual radiator itself.

How fast are you going where a few pounds is actually going to make a difference? I say forget about weight and go with what will cool better.

vristang said:
My t-stat has stuck open a few times and the coolant temps hit the low 180s. This tells me that my 197F stat is actually limiting how cool my temps are.

jason

I sure hope so... that's what they're supposed to do. :D

ExplodingGopher said:
I dont see how that is true, copper has much better thermal conductivity compared to aluminum, the only realy reason to get an aluminum one is to save weight.

The aluminum has a higher tensile strength,so the passages can be made larger,witch lets the heat transfer over a greater suface area.Thats why they work better....

Daggar said:
I sure hope so... that's what they're supposed to do. :D

I guess I could have made my point a little more clearly.

If my 2-core rad were the limiting factor in my cooling system, then the t-stat sticking open would not cause the coolant temp to drop.

Fords plastic-
I haven't used these before, but I think people tend to over react to the use of plastic on the radiator.
Most likely this is a thermoset, so it will handle VERY hi temps. Even if it is a thermoplastic, it should hold up to cooling system temps very well.

If you get that plastic hot enough to damage or soften it, then you have probably done serious damage to the motor as well. The rad. should be the least of your concerns for hi temp damage.

ExplodingGopher said:
Oh and i have the FMS aluminum 5.0 HD radiator cooling my 460, and it works pretty well, good product, i just wish the tanks were aluminum also.

So if you had it to do over, Would you still buy the same one? I like items that are well built and fit right. I don't mind to pay $200-$260 I just want to only buy one. I have made bad parts choices in the past, and I hate to waste $$$$.

that radiator looks like a great deal... aluminum radiators, at least aftermarket ones like this are better at cooling, the weight diff will be minimal if at all. I had cooling probs in the summer with my stock one, so i upgraded to an afco aluminum one, with 160 thermostat, it runs at 160 except in traffic, but has never gone past 190.