Weird Exhaust hole question

Valicy

Feb 12, 2020
Washington
On the passenger side of my stock 1994 the front plate of the muffler is recessed like 4 inches and there is an exhaust hole pointing towards the front of the car. It looks wrong but also looks stock. It smokes out of it when warming up a bit and the driver side exhaust tip feels much stronger than the passenger one. Is the hole normal? I figure it's like an muffler bypass for wot or something? Can't find anything on it online.

• Sponsors (?)

Do you have a picture?

Kurt
IMG_5427.jpeg

Here a picture. The exhaust doesn't seem loose or anything wrong with it.

That's not stock.

Interesting tho.... never seen that arrangement before.
I was chatting with the original owner and he said he had a torque converter replaced so I'm thinking maybe the shop cut the exhaust to get the transmission out? And put on some weird muffler? Some of the welds on the exhaust are kinda ugly like they were done by a mechanic with a mig welder. The rest of the exhaust system is definitely stock.

That muffler has been removed at some point, and the cover (they’re called front and rear in the trade) is missing. Those covers are rolled formed onto the muffler shell, and that one is gone. That short tube you can see is called a tuning tube, meant to control a frequency range by the manufacture. Time for a new muffler, maybe two?

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user