Weird noise under moderate acceleration from a stop

Hey guys, first off, let me just say that I already know my TOB is shot, and it needs to be replaced. The only reason I say that, is because I think that may be what is producing this noise.

Anyways, when I moderately accelerate from a stop, I get this weird, deep squeeking noise as the transmission is engaging. Once I shift into 2nd, it's gone. It's weird too, it's almost like friction is producing the noise, because I can feel it in my foot on the clutch pedal and even my hand on the shifter. It kind of sounds like a really crappy violin. That's what it reminded me of. Anyways, If I accelerate very slowly, the noise doesn't pop up; same goes for a hard launch. It just happens during that medium acceleration, and occurs from either a dead stop or like a <5mph roll. I was actually at a very slow roll in 2nd, and when accelerating, the same thing happened. It's really bugging me. I have to take off like a grandma at every light to avoid it.

So, can anyone help me diagnose this? I'm pretty sure it's the TOB, but I could be wrong. Thanks for any help, guys.

Oh, and BTW - I took the car in to the shop to get an estimate on replacing the TOB, and they quoted me at around $600 for labor alone. This has been my trusted mechanic for the past few years, and does impeccable work, but holy ****!.

• Sponsors (?)