Weird Stuff. I am lost.

Scott_95GT

Oct 8, 2004
Sacramento
I've been posting off and on about my fan motor saga. Burnt up, replaced with new assembly, wouldn't work at first.

I thought I had to replace the CCRM, untill I saw a blown 60 Amp fuse, replaced it, and the fan turned on no problem. I thought it was good to go.

Yesterday, I'm on the freeway, and my car starts to run rough and sluggish like it's out of gas. I pull off the freeway and into a gas station, as the car completly dies. Tinkered around, couldn't figure it out. Turning over, but won't start. Started it about 4 hours later (came back obviously) and drove it home. It died literally as I got there. Spent a lot of time, did a lot of reasearch, can't figure it out.

Took it to a shop. They found the MAF to be bad. They unplugged it, and it started right up, and ran no problem (safe mode or whatever it goes into). They plugged it in and it died. The maf is in the same 'bundle' of wires (so to speak) as the fan motor. Could the old fan motor have fried wires or my MAF?

This is really weird. I know the CCRM is involved in the fuel pump, and this also makes me think. Don't get it. I don't want to open a can o' worms, and start replacing a bunch of stuff. Any ideas???

Scott

• Sponsors (?)

Wiggle the harness a little at a time. If you have some burnt wires, you should be able to feel a stiffness, or hear plastic cracking as you move it. I had the same thing happen to my tranny. Damn harness came down and burned up on the exhaust. Took a long time to find. I was finally under the car tugging around when I noticed the noise of the burnt harness.

Yeah man, this is one of those situations where it is hard to figure out everything that was harmed. No wires that were visably cooked or craked though.

I got a call from the shop, and they said they installed the new maf, and that it's working good, but now they are getting an engine code for the fuel pump relay. There goes another chunk of cash.

Can't complain though. My car has never really had a problem untill this situation, it's been paid off for a long time, and it only has 77K miles on it. If I gotta fix her, I gotta fix her.

MAF sensors generally don't take a dump after a bit of run time. If you desire to test it, you certainly can. That will tell you what's going on. Getting the car to run in FMEM can mask another issue, so super careful diagnostics and road testing are necessary.

A primary or secondary FP code can come from a momentary burp in power to the pump (it's often a ghost code). That's not to say you don't have an issue however.

When the car died on you, did you have spark, injector pulsing and 30+ PSIG fuel pressure? If you have decent FP, chances are the CCRM is ok in regard to the FP relay.

Good luck.

Yeah, they changed the ccrm (the shop called it the fuel pump relay). They said they got the code for the ccrm after they installed a new MAF, which was intermittant. They said the car is running perfect, with no codes.

Yeah, I rarely ever see another vib. red car around. I've only seen two others before around town. I live in Sacramento, which is a pretty large city with a large Mustang following, still only two other vib. reds.

Anyways, I hope she is really fixed, and doesn't $hit a brick on the way home LOL.

I miss her. I'm tried of driving my grandpa's Tacoma.