Well....470hp Block Is Still Going Strong

I feel like a complete noob even posting this. I have never in my life had this happen so when I felt the rear end just start locking up I just assumed it was toast. The huge mistake I made was not popping the hood and checking things out b4 the tow. The highway was busy, the shoulder was small and I thought I was sure. Plus I didn't really want to see any carnage.

The only thing thing wrong? The supercharger tube blew off under pressure.

So......I won't be doing the block yet. However I do have a small coolant leak because I'm still running on the plastic one. I found a reichard racing intake and will be putting that on this week. I will post up some pics of it when I get it.

• Sponsors (?)

I feel like a complete noob even posting this. I have never in my life had this happen so when I felt the rear end just start locking up I just assumed it was toast. The huge mistake I made was not popping the hood and checking things out b4 the tow. The highway was busy, the shoulder was small and I thought I was sure. Plus I didn't really want to see any carnage.

The only thing thing wrong? The supercharger tube blew off under pressure.

So......I won't be doing the block yet. However I do have a small coolant leak because I'm still running on the plastic one. I found a reichard racing intake and will be putting that on this week. I will post up some pics of it when I get it.

Don't feel like a noob. It happens. :shrug: One time I thought my transmission was going out, when in reality it was the fact that my air filter was completely worn, so for some reason when I would let off the gas to slow down, the car would kick like it was shifting out of gear. It had something to do with my IAC valve and too much air from the filter. New K/N and problem solved.

Glad to hear the block is ok :nice:

I'm trying not to be too mean.......but LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Someone with a full bolt-on heads/cams/blown car cant tell the difference between a blown motor and slipped tube? LOL!

Glad to hear its a minor issue.

Hey.....I'm prepared for getting laughed at on this one. It's bad I know, I'm shaking my head at myself on this one :nonono:. I needed to man up and post this up though after the other thread. You guys can laugh at my noob slip.

But again, in all honesty this never happened to me before with a blow off tube. My vette is a NA 408 and all I've ever owned has only been NA except this stang. I had such a preconceived notion that my block was on the edge it's the only thing that went through my head.

The only positive to come out of this is I found this reichard racing intake and will be putting it on to replace my leaky plastic one.

So why did loosing the intake tube cause the rear tires to lock up? I've blown plenty of intercooler pipes off my 88, but the engine still spins freely.

well it was explained to me that it killed the engine and that while trying to put it in fourth with the engine essentially dead there was too was such a high difference in the rate of speed of the engine tranny trying to engage that it skipped the rear when I tried. Makes sense to me :shrug: , but what do I know. I thought I had a blown block.....lol

lol after reading your first post i was thinking maybe your battery cable came loose and you lost power to the motor :D I would think you would hear a good sized bang or at least a huge shutter.

i wouldnt feel too bad though cause at least you still have a stock motor stand handling 470rwhp lol thats all that counts. i have thought my motor was dead many a times and it was always something dumb.

like the time i sprayed nitrous and felt the car bog down BIG TIME! come to find out when i crossed the train tracks i lost my ground for my nitrous solenoid wire and got all fuel sprayed in lol. just scared the crap out of me cause it was literally the first time i pushed the button on the 150 shot and i was immediately thinking dang it i should have listened to everyone lol. but she went on to later take a 200 shot a couple months later and is still thriving to this very day!

god bless american cars and most importantly FORD :flag:hahahaha

I've toasted a few engines, but never really in a spectacular fashion. My original NA 2.3L (with cast pistons and rings) went lean under boost when the vacuum reference popped off the FRP. That broke the rings in a couple cylinders, and caused the engine to smoke badly at idle, but I still drove it home no problem (aside from a smoke screen).

I also had an issue with cracking the cylinder walls in some engines I built up. Again, 2.3's, but they were all bored .030 over weakening the walls. Killed 2 blocks like that, and they just smoked after letting off the gas, but still ran and drove fine.

Another engine died from complications of rod knock. I was trying to drive it home for repairs and the engine just locked up. lol I guess that is the most spectacular I've had so far, but being an auto, it just died with no drama.

Right now, I'm running a stock turbo 2.3 block. It is holding up much better than the other engines so far. Hopefully, I don't get to clean up any parts anytime soon. Going for 11's this summer. :)

It happens :shrug: Still wouldn't be a bad idea to start setting a little cash aside from each check to go towards a new block. It's going to happen eventually so being prepared is nice

It happens :shrug: Still wouldn't be a bad idea to start setting a little cash aside from each check to go towards a new block. It's going to happen eventually so being prepared is nice

I am ready to do it. I could still do it right now. I just go back to the saying why fix what aint broke. With the exception of this supercharger tube my car runs like a top. This whole thing has just put into prerspective that maybe I should do it before my block goes so I can do it on my own time. If I had to order a new block + install, plus any other delay she'd be down for almost 2 months. If I can do it on my terms maybe a week if that down time.

Glad to see you still around. :D I don't really own 12 second cars anymore. How is the dyno these days?

lol thanks. I haven't done anything (car related) the past year since I was busy spending $$ on other stuff like on work and home. But I 'm ready to start modding now, even though I actually enjoyed driving the bone stock Shelby. :)

Looks like a lot of familiar faces are still here, I see.

Sounds like a nice ride! I've got a couple local buddies with GT500's that put down great numbers and track times. You'll find a lot of the old fellows in the "Squeaky Wheel" here.

Glad to hear it was just a tube blowing off! when i first supercharged my mustang i babied it everywhere until one night I decided to open her up and see what she could do, and wouldn't you know it, pullllllllllll BAM! Only blew off the tube right behind the intercooler, but scared the hell out of me and made me nervous to accelerate for a while after that! Probably just freaked you out and you weren't thinking as clearly as you would have without all that adrenaline pumping through your veins.

haha i've had the same thing happen to me, i thought my motor was toast. When i popped the hood and saw the tube had come off i felt like doing a dance right there on the side of the highway i was so happy