Wet Carpet

Malocchio

Jan 16, 2017
Thankfully not the heater core . The rubber cowl bladder must have plugged up on my 2006 GT during this last massive storm, and the passenger side carpets front and back got soaked..I plan to remove the bladder and clean the area, replace the cabin filter ( where the water enters ) ,however I am asking the forums advice on 2 points. Should I just toss the bladder , or if it's not too dried out massage it with some pure silicone to revive the elasticity ???...Also, is it mandatory to lift up the carpet and install new under padding , I don't want the work , but I am afraid of mold growing under the carpet..What do you guys think ? Thanks in advance !

• Sponsors (?)

Had that happen on my 2005 GT 2 summers ago after several days of Florida rain. Didn't replace the bladder, just made sure it's clear of leaves and dirt and it hasn't leaked. Didn't change the carpet padding and it smelt musty for a short time, but now the smell is gone.
The only other thing I am dealing with is the wet driver side seat belt after a hard rain. Trying to figure out where the leak is so I can replace the necessary seals. Know there are various threads and a TSB, I think, on it.

I removed the bladders from my 2006 GT, replaced all grommets, and after a brutal rain I still am getting a passenger side leak....Between rains I thought I was dry, the smell subsided and rug seemed dry to the touch..I decided to pull up the plastic sill (just pull up on it , the sill pops off easy,snaps back on easy ) and look under the rug..Sure enough, the padding was soaked and stinky,so I would get under there and make sure..I cut out the rug on the passenger side to watch what happened in the next rain,and my fixes did not work...Now I have to do a process of elimination testing on the car,trying to simulate rain and see where the water is entering..