Engine What’s this plug? Putting motor back together

bbredstang

May 2, 2001
My car has been sitting for about 6 years partially disassembled to put rockers on and I finally got to work today!!

I am almost done however can’t find where this plug goes! Any thoughts from the community?

thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 431F3906-88FC-4374-BFD8-B21871E05388.jpeg
    431F3906-88FC-4374-BFD8-B21871E05388.jpeg
    349.2 KB · Views: 91
  • Sponsors (?)

Are y'all sure on that? Mine has two plugs like that for ECT sensor. One is used, one isn't. Same connector as that. I'm just checking. I don't even see that sensor in the pic.

Are y'all sure on that? Mine has two plugs like that for ECT sensor. One is used, one isn't. Same connector as that. I'm just checking. I don't even see that sensor in the pic.

I see the ECT plug in his photo. It's plugged in. A little hard to see in his pics because the red lines of the circle are on top of it

The plugs have a clocking feature that only allows them to plug into the correct harness/plug

I see the ECT plug in his photo. It's plugged in. A little hard to see in his pics because the red lines of the circle are on top of it

The plugs have a clocking feature that only allows them to plug into the correct harness/plug
Yes. But there's 2. One isn't used. Couldn't that be the unused one? That's exactly where it would be.

Edit: Geez.....I finally corrected all the autocorrected errors...I think! Hate cell phones!!!!

Last edited:
The unused one goes down to the charcoal canister.

I can take a photo on my car later to clarify, but i'm 99.9% sure the plug he's showing that is dangling in the wind is the charcoal cansiter plug

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
The unused one goes down to the charcoal canister.

I can take a photo on my car later to clarify, but i'm 99.9% sure the plug he's showing that is dangling in the wind is the charcoal cansiter plug
I guess I've had mine off so long I didn't remember it going to anything....lol. I just remember a few months ago a guy posted about those both plugging into the sensor and we all told him it was impossible because of the index corner. He finally posted a pic and the corner was broken off allowing it to snap in. I just remember it being unused. No need to go to any trouble for me. I was just making sure. Thanks for fixing my memory! :jester:

• Haha
Here are the same two plugs on my car, although slightly rearranged from OeM location.

one to ECT (green wire) and other (red wire) to charcoal canister

82DFAFA7-2473-4F2B-A0C6-66E93393BAAC.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users
I guess I've had mine off so long I didn't remember it going to anything....lol. I just remember a few months ago a guy posted about those both plugging into the sensor and we all told him it was impossible because of the index corner. He finally posted a pic and the corner was broken off allowing it to snap in. I just remember it being unused. No need to go to any trouble for me. I was just making sure. Thanks for fixing my memory! :jester:
Yeah...I lost 100 bucks on that bet.

• Happy
  • Surprised
Reactions: 2 users
I agree with the General et al. The connector goes to the purge valve solenoid. There are no wires going to the carbon canister itself. The wires control the purge valve solenoid and the vapors get sucked into the intake at part throttle cruise