Engine What a Conundrum we find ourselves in.

Meh, ya'll haven't lived until you've tried to stop a II with 9" rotors before running out of pavement at the dragstrip from 110mph...
All drums and panic stops in a 60's GM A body has been exciting enough. Power brakes or not, above 70, swerving is a better choice, and Grandpa used to tow a boat with it. I'll pass on warping the little rotors.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

As far as a timeline, I’m old enough to want to do it right once so I can use more time and energy to enjoy driving it. A multi stage build from scratch just does not make sense to me unless you want an upgrade or need to change something too big down the road.
As you are divorced, you do not have to convince a spouse that spending the money and doing it right all at once is going to save time and hassle, freeing up up to go places with her, the kids, or do whatever else you need to do. My wife understands that, but I am lucky. As long as I do not hurt myself working on a project, it’s fine by her. She trusts me not to overspend and actually pays some attention to the TV car shows and Car Talk rerun podcasts so she understands what I am talking about.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Just like buying anything else from the internet, it's gonna depend on their reputation. Obviously the bigger the name (Summit, Jegs, Speedway, etc) there shouldn't be a problem. But some small name shop, unless it's local to you or someone you know and can trust their opinion, can be hit or miss. So far I've had really good luck with anything I've gotten through online retailers, even through Ebay, you just have to do your due diligence. But I'd think that most semi-reputable businesses wouldn't knowingly sell you some piece of crap either online or in person, but there are those out there who are only looking to make a quick buck from some unsuspecting "fool." It's just good business practice to build a customer base if you want to succeed.

A crate engine through one of the big catalog suppliers wouldn't worry me much.

Just don't order anything from Monster Transmission, those assclowns couldn't fix a ham sammich.

Reactions: 2 users
In this case the thought comes to mind that I'd want to go local so that I could get the flywheel to whomever so they could balance the rotating assembly while it's being put together. With the clamp down on travel/work from home, etc., I'd thing some of the engine builders around town are dying for something to do.

In this case the thought comes to mind that I'd want to go local so that I could get the flywheel to whomever so they could balance the rotating assembly while it's being put together. With the clamp down on travel/work from home, etc., I'd thing some of the engine builders around town are dying for something to do.

If they're in operation now I'd think they wouldn't turn down any work, but most definitely once we're opened back up for business I'm sure they'd be happy for the business!! If you were in NE Iowa I could suggest a couple different people, but I don't know anything about anyone in your neck of the woods. But I'm sure you probably know someone who knows someone!

Too cold out to work on the car in the un-heated garage. Still haven't decided what I'm going to do. But have looked for T5's.