what are cheap 99-04 mustang gt mods or upgrade kits?

• Sponsors (?)

You won't get much performance for $200. You might think about replacing the paper filter with a K&N, and removing the intake silencer to free up a few HP. A cheap fender-well CAI might come in around that price point. You might find a used N2O kit for that.

I'd save some more to get decent mods. Save for a tuner (Diablo, SCT etc), gears, catback exhaust, TB and plenum, Steeda UDPs etc. Thing is, any one of those mods is going to be $200 or more and none, on its own, will give more than a few HP. Ironically, of the mods on that list gears will probably give the best SOTP feel but will add no power...

Gears........as mentioned above, most of those mods will produce very little HP when performed individually and deliver almost no noticeable SOTP feel.

I put 4.10 gears in my 1998 GT with 2001 PI motor swap and it was a huge difference. I gained no HP at all from the swap (probably lost a few horses if I dyno it due to torque multiplier) but the car is MUCH quicker and more lively.

I know shops thatll do gear swaps for $399 installed including the price of the gears and install kit. So its a pretty great bang for the buck.

Gears are the only thing in that range that are performance improving

CAI, TB, MAF, shorties, mufflers, and pretty much anything else at that price range is worthless at your performance level. The stock stuff isn't bad at stock levels of power.

I say, play around here for awhile to find what you like. I'd recommend exhaust parts, gears, cai, pulley, tuner and such. If you're really trying to go cheap you could replace the filter to a K&N like someone else posted, buy some mufflers and get'em welded on, rent a rotary cutter and cut your springs than buy a bottle. You could always check out classifieds on craigslist and here as well

You might think about replacing the paper filter with a K&N, and removing the intake silencer to free up a few HP.

i upgraded to a "performance filter" the other day and decided to remove the air silencer. i noticed a decent size gap with it removed, right in front of the MAF. since the gap was behind the filter and fear of debris could go right into the intake tube, i put the silencer back on. how can one remove it and eliminate that gap?

sorry for the dumb question.

i upgraded to a "performance filter" the other day and decided to remove the air silencer. i noticed a decent size gap with it removed, right in front of the MAF. since the gap was behind the filter and fear of debris could go right into the intake tube, i put the silencer back on. how can one remove it and eliminate that gap?

sorry for the dumb question.

The silencer is only the rubber snorkel part that goes into the fenderwell
not the black hard plastic part.

i noticed the snorkel when i pulled the box out. just didnt register with me i guess. really, the snorkel acts sort of as a factory cold air...grabbing cooler air from inside the fender, just on a more restrictive basis than an aftermarket piece?

the screen that im speaking of looks as though it would slow the air flow a bit. i assume its in place for folks that never clean or replace their air filter. nevertheless, i didnt remove it.

Correct. In the stock intake system it does this because of the bends and shape of the stock rubber piping. I took my screen out when I put my Steeda CAI on. The instructions didnt tell me to keep them, so I called and they said it was unneeded on a non OEM intake setup. I kept it just in case something happens, but I have no complaints from having that thing removed.

makes sense.

some googling seems to say the same things you guys do: "The screen on the mass air flow (MAF) sensor exists to reduce turbulence and create laminar air flow."

it does seem to be popular 'mod' by removing it but i think i will leave it in since it can have a bearing on the MAF reading.

^^

i noticed a decent size gap with it removed, right in front of the MAF. since the gap was behind the filter and fear of debris could go right into the intake tube.

thats what i was meaning, which is why i left it alone. not sure how others are removing the screen and not having a gap. or maybe they do have gap and are not worrying about. seems this could create a problem tho.