Engine What are the shortest tall valave covers?

silverlx50

15 Year Member
Apr 4, 2007
Anyone know who makes the shortest tall valve covers that will work for my application?

I just went with a Holley Systemx intake and even with a 1" spacer, it doesnt fit. The drivers side of the intake lays flat on the drivers side valve cover. I've got Trick Flow 190 11R heads and Trick Flow roller rocker arms 1.6 7/16.

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Anyone know who makes the shortest tall valve covers that will work for my application?

I just went with a Holley Systemx intake and even with a 1" spacer, it doesnt fit. The drivers side of the intake lays flat on the drivers side valve cover. I've got Trick Flow 190 11R heads and Trick Flow roller rocker arms 1.6 7/16.
Hi,
Did you get closure on this issue?!Just notes it recently. Heads running screw in studs concomitantly with Systemax intakes inherently run tight to that drivers side cover.
If you eventually need to gain cover height via below, run Felpro #1583 rubberized gaskets. They’re 0.200 thick.
All motor’s stackup’s may vary, how much hood/intake clearance with the 1” spacer? Can add additional spacer Ht?
Run the shortest ARP Rocker stud(s) & set screw locks, you can cut either further to decrease length, if interested- let me know & I’ll give you spec’s.
The ones supplied with TrickFlow heads are not the shortest available. I’ve milled or turned them to drop excess height to gain some headroom.
Plant the intake on with no Driver’s side cover, bridge between both cover mounting surfaces with a thin, flat plate & a rule, measure up to studlock & document dimensions required to clear the studs & avoid the intake.
Mocking it up with a piece of 1/8” wire to reflect the minimum & maximum dimensions, tracing that onto paper, quick way to know what dimensions need to be.
Note: Pic’s are typical renditions of what I’ve done, not my personal pic’s. Just there to visualize.
Options..
1) I’ve runTrickFlow covers successfully w/Systemax uppers in the past, have cleared with a 1” spacer, 2 thick gaskets.
2) 93’ LX 5.0 valve covers will clear most stud mount rockers, have to work at it & although tight, allows room for Systemax intakes while retaining the baffle. Previous yr.’s Inner cover supports have been removed, deemed unnecessary by Ford.
3) Welded Sheet aluminum covers are plentiful in design. Verify inner dimensions with your measurements..Summit has many, ask them about their internal/external dimensions.
2453A241-C869-4752-8E0D-64A13258EA6F.jpeg
This about where you are? Above...clears but is actually contacting slightly affecting boltup of upper to lower?
820BFD20-C78C-4AB5-9770-C56487C1E7DD.jpeg
3.5” Ford Racing covers, Systemax intake.
Worked on (2) 302 blocks (87’ & 91’) with radical solid roller Cams that required stud girdles due to high spring pressures & with identically sized Brodix heads (same as 11R castings).Trickflow runs a modified valve-cover mating surface height, different than most.
1” spacer & (2) 0.040 gaskets, Scorpion Roller Rockers with tall studs & stud girdle.
Have shaved 1/8” off upper intake underside twice. It’s precarious. Don’t suggest doing this, get too thin or break through & you need to cut the intake square & weld in a radiused plate w/a consumable insert, purged w/Argon so the inner weld lays flat.

6B80DCF4-C17F-46BD-ABF8-49ACBB31F538.jpeg
93’ LX 5.0 covers with Systemax & Studmount rockers.
I’ve run TF. 3/8” studmount Roller Rockers, machined stud lengths to minimally acceptable heights & upper setscrew locks remachined, entirely.
Hope you completed this, if not- might help.
Good luck
-John
P.S. TrickFlow 11R’s, 1/4” spacer, upper to TF cover Clearance...Could pull the drivers valvecover with the intake on with ease.
2F564FF6-24F5-4A94-9345-EADABD1A3C3C.jpeg

Last edited: