What are the tell-tale symptons of a worn clutch?

def1eppard

Founding Member
Apr 28, 2002
DFW, TX
I'm gonna get my clutch replaced, but I'm starting to get paranoid and thinking that maybe it's not so bad. What are the main ways you can tell a clutch is starting to go? I'm not talking like totally going out...my car still drives.

• Sponsors (?)

A test I've heard for a worn out clutch is to get to highway speed and in 5th gear floor it, if your rpms jump real quick then your clutch is worn out. No clue if this test is valid or not, this is my first car with a manual.

def1eppard said:
I'm gonna get my clutch replaced, but I'm starting to get paranoid and thinking that maybe it's not so bad. What are the main ways you can tell a clutch is starting to go? I'm not talking like totally going out...my car still drives.
hahahaha. trust me, you'll know it when your clutch goes.

def1eppard said:
What are the main ways you can tell a clutch is starting to go?.
one big way is your car is in gear, your stepping on the gas with the clutch out, and the car isnt moving. :rlaugh: i know from experience. my clutch didnt "start to go", it just "went". :rlaugh: :rlaugh: i was racing a 5.0 mustang on the highway, downshifted to 3rd, rev matched, dumped the clutch and *snap* *bang* *grind grind grind* *chatter chatter chatter chatter*. then i had no access to any gears for a while. while driving with a bad clutch. if you give the car too much gas in gear, the rpms will shoot up like its in nuetral, and you wont accelerate. my car blew out clouds of white smoke as well.

heres a good test though to see if your clutch is slipping. drive up a hill at a low speed in high gear and floor it. if the clutch catches, its still good. if it revs up, its slipping and will go soon

DBMSTNG said:
does it slip under hard acceleration?

I can't really tell...and I don't really floor it that much...this is just my daily driver.

Duke309 said:
A test I've heard for a worn out clutch is to get to highway speed and in 5th gear floor it, if your rpms jump real quick then your clutch is worn out. No clue if this test is valid or not, this is my first car with a manual.

There's no way it's worn out that bad.

I have to let the clutch out pretty far to get it to grab, and it seems really noticeable while trying to go up hills. It also seemed to get a whole lot worse the other day when I was in stop & go traffic for about 30 minutes. Really felt like the car was struggling to get going. However, I can't say that I really notice it while cruising. I'm just starting to worry that I may be getting a clutch installed when I just need a new cable or an adjustment.

My car has about 65,000 miles on it and I'm pretty sure it's the stock clutch. What do you think?

My stock clutch is 100% after 5 months of ~400rwhp... My stock clutch quadrant did die though, but MM cured that for me ;) When my clutch goes I'll probably just buy a new transmission...but if I wasn't I would go with a McLeod Stg2/3 kit from MaximumMotorsports or Spec Stage3.

I say buy a clutch and have it ready to drop in, then just drive it how it is till the stocker bites the dust. And btw, when it goes or even starts to you'll notice. Basically it will just rev up like people are saying and willl feel like your driving at 1/10th the ammount of power you should be if its slipping at all.

Mine feels like ass. Bad feedback, feels different after long drives, I THINK I can feel it slip on a 1-2 WOT shift when the tires dont break loose.

Its got almost 100k on it, im sure itd feel great with a new clutch and the flywheel all cleaned up.

BurningRubber said:
Mine feels like ass. Bad feedback, feels different after long drives, I THINK I can feel it slip on a 1-2 WOT shift when the tires dont break loose.

Its got almost 100k on it, im sure itd feel great with a new clutch and the flywheel all cleaned up.
Under normal conditions people installed a new clutch
at around 70-80K miles.
I am counting the days for my clutch to die. :D

go in 3rd or 4th at around 2-2.5k and go WOT, if the rpm's climb and the car just kinda lumbers on, its done.

also when youre shifting hard from 1-2 and 2-3 and you disengage the clutch really fast but it sounds like the clutch just doesnt want to grab as fast as youre pulling your foot off the pedal, this is also a sign.

My 99 had a bad clutch. Like stated before take it in 5th gear and get on it a little, it might not be bad enough to see the rpm's shott up but mine used to smell real bad. If its grabbing high your most likley coming to the end

Just had mine replaced at 105k and it was still quite usable. Buddy had a stock 96 that he drove pretty normal at it lasted 130k until his throw out bearing took a dump. I think they will go pretty far with near stock hp...just be prepared for the ford TOB to squeak no matter what you do.

I'd probably try a MM quad/adjuster/cable first and see how that works. You'll want one anyways.

The first sign I always notice is the engagement point changes from where it normally is.. to the point of where you have to let the pedal out so far before it starts moving the car, that you're not even sure if it's fully engaged.

sgarlic said:
The first sign I always notice is the engagement point changes from where it normally is.. to the point of where you have to let the pedal out so far before it starts moving the car, that you're not even sure if it's fully engaged.

Yeah I have to let mine out a ton. The thing is I've always heard people say that just means you just need a new cable.