Fox What are these connectors for? And how to remove wires?

James V

5 Year Member
Feb 26, 2017
Connecticut
Working on putting a new thermostat housing and radiator kit on my 93 fox. Noticed this black connector under the distributor connector, what is it for since it's not plugged in?

20190119_143311.jpg

Also while removing the old electrical fans someone else put in, I noticed one of the wires (purple) ran to this black connector and also the current thermostat sensor wire run to this too. How do I remove wires from this, they wont pull out?

20190119_143326.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

First pic, if I’m looking at what your describing, should have your spout connector coming out of it for setting your base timing.
E2280293-409B-44D0-83AC-AF4A57CBF033.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
The thing the purple wire goes in to is a relay. The relay plugs into the other side of that black part. The previous owner must have a fan switch screwed into the thermostat housing to trigger the relay and cut the fan on.

The thing the purple wire goes in to is a relay. The relay plugs into the other side of that black part. The previous owner must have a fan switch screwed into the thermostat housing to trigger the relay and cut the fan on.

Thanks. That explains it. Is the relay necessary? I'm going to be wiring new electric fans, how do I take out the old wires (the purple and black from previous thermo housing) from the relay? Is there a special way, they seem tight in there.

The wires can be pulled out. First you'd have to unplug the relay. Then take a safety pin and push on the little plastic tab the holds the wire in there.

Reactions: 1 user