What brand Fuel pump for a carb'd setup

Ok, so now we move to buying a fuel pump. ive read alot on the difference between gettin a low volume electric pump with a regulator, and having a mechanical pump. i havent totally decided which way im going yet, so if you guys could toss out your opinions on which mechanical pump has good reliability, and which electric pump works well, please let me know. TIA

• Sponsors (?)

I have always had good luck with your basic Holly red or blue pumps. Mainly I have used them because they are in my price range but I have never had one fail and they have never had a problem feeding any of my motors. I have used them since back in the 80's on small block and big block chevy's and also on my carbed Mustangs. If your looking for cheap and reliable...good bang for the buck. They can be noisy though.

Dude, do you actually have 6 cars? I own 3, and my girlfriend is spazing out about those... ill have to show her your list, maybe shell calm the hell down.

oh, and with those pumps, you just got a regulator and turned it down to 7 psi, right?

TrickFlow306 said:
Dude, do you actually have 6 cars? I own 3, and my girlfriend is spazing out about those... ill have to show her your list, maybe shell calm the hell down.

oh, and with those pumps, you just got a regulator and turned it down to 7 psi, right?
All the ones in the list plus an 03 Escape at the moment. Dont have too much trouble with the wife on the issue. She drags home as many stangs as I do.

One the red pumps I have never used a regulator. They will hold a pretty consistat 6psi or so. The blue comes with an external regulator, so you can just set it to 7 and go.

Some people have had good luck with the Holley Red/Blue pumps (as MrKwik has) but I've had two Holley Blue pumps in the past without too much good fortune.

For my current buildup, I used a Carter Mechanical Fuel Pump and it feeds both of my carburetors @ a healthy 7 psi without any issues at all. It's a lot more quiet than my old Holley Blue Pumps too.

ok, i found both the blue and red pumps in the summit mag... came up with another question. if a carb only needs 7 psi, wouldnt it make sense to get the red pump that only puts out 7 psi? or... do people get the blue that goes up to 14 psi for things like nitrous and stuff like that? i guess im asking what would i need twice the amopunt of fuel pressure for?

Hissing Cobra said:
Some people have had good luck with the Holley Red/Blue pumps (as MrKwik has) but I've had two Holley Blue pumps in the past without too much good fortune.

For my current buildup, I used a Carter Mechanical Fuel Pump and it feeds both of my carburetors @ a healthy 7 psi without any issues at all. It's a lot more quiet than my old Holley Blue Pumps too.

Ok, on the mechanical pump side of things, which way was easier, running the electric pump, or the mechanical one? i know ill need a different timing cover and eccentric (which is a fuel pump push rod basically, right?) if i do run the mechanical pump, but if its easier to install and less expensive than running an electric pump, i might go that route.

Thank you guys for all of your input by the way :nice:

Carburetors can only handle 7psi or the needle and seat will be overcome and flooding will occur. The Blue pump and regulator should be used for a nitrous application. Set it for 7 psi on the regulator and it should pretty much stay there when you press the nitrous activation switch at WOT.

The Red pump will pump out 7 psi but will probably drop down lower when the nitrous switch is activated at WOT, causing a lean condition that could cause engine damage. It would be fine for a n/a engine and no nitrous/supercharger/turbocharger.

These pumps are noisy and can drive you nuts while waiting at red lights or in traffic. :nonono:

As for the mechanical pump, I used it more for reliability (remember, I didn't have good luck with my Holley Blue's.) It's quiet as a mouse too. We made our own 3/8's line from the tank to the pump and then from the pump to the intake manifold. I already had the eccentric and everything else.

Whether you go with the electric or the mechanical pump, good luck!

EDIT: I just saw your signature and you've got a '91 model. Why not use the factory in-tank pump with an aftermarket regulator? My twin brother did this on his '85 GT and it's worked like a charm for 8 years. It's quiet and includes the factory engineering (which is supposed to last for 100,000 miles.) Usually, the factory components are the most reliable because they've been engineered to last for long periods of time (the aftermarket companies usually have a 90 day warranty. Something to think about!) If you use the in-tank pump, you'll need to fabricate new fuel lines.