What Brand Tire Is Everyone Running?

92GreenGT

PEAT
Founding Member
Jul 18, 2002
Big Stone Gap, VA
Needing new rear tires for the fox, the nitto DR's are shot(not tread wise but they are coming apart at the sides...:eek: )

Wanting to get back to a street radial instead of a DR since I'm buying 15" DR's for the track. Looking for something "good", I know a lot of the Cobra guys run the KDW II tires, looking for 275/40/17's I guess.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations, personal experiences preferred.

• Sponsors (?)

Ive ran em all almost and have my preferences, but I have noticed this is like an exhaust thread. There will be multiple camps. What tires aside from the nittos did you like in the past? I would go with those. I did love my 555's and they lasted me 7 years and 20k miles with several passes... If you like nitto's roll with those :nice:

I hate the Sumi's on my car. They're like HTR+ or something. The first week I had them, they were AWESOME. Cut 1.9 short times consistently on them at the track. Now.... After a week, and maybe 5 passes with no burnouts, just a bit of wheelspin, I was back to spinning through first on my bone stock 5.0 with 245 tires... Come on now, that's just sad. :notnice: They HAVE lasted 10k miles though, which I can't complain about - they're still on the car. They're just... Not that good. Always heard good things about KDW's!

BFG G-Force Sports. Cheap, sticky, decent speed rating (149mph, IIRC). Seem to have good life, too. Just don't drive them in snow or ice. I got stuck in my driveway one winter just backing it out of the garage. There was MAYBE 1/2" of snow.

GSD3 few guys i know running them and all of them love them. i have no reason to run them on my S70 but i may run them up front on the LX when i get new rubber

M&H drag radials FTMFW. I'm running 325's on the back of my '99 and it's the closest thing to having a full slick on the car I've ever felt. They dead hook ice cold and my car makes 457 ft/lb of torque at 2100 RPM. I've driven the car in the rain without an issue as well. Just my experience. :nice:

BFG G-Force Sports. Cheap, sticky, decent speed rating (149mph, IIRC). Seem to have good life, too. Just don't drive them in snow or ice. I got stuck in my driveway one winter just backing it out of the garage. There was MAYBE 1/2" of snow.

No! I burn through those faster in my GTO then I do mickey thompson drag radials on a daily driven mustang with way more torque. Not all that sticky or cheap.

1st choice BFG kdws on my Bullitt. Awesome at 37k miles. BFG Drag Radials on the 82

2nd choice Michelins

3rd choice Uniroyal Laredos on the F150

next-the cheapest thing the tire store has, for the Chevelle, for skinnies, for the 89 coupe

See my point? I think I have counted 8 differing tires and opinions in 13 posts...

Haha, yep. Maybe after this we can do a "which shifter?" or "what lowering springs?" thread. :D

No! I burn through those faster in my GTO then I do mickey thompson drag radials on a daily driven mustang with way more torque. Not all that sticky or cheap.

Are we talking about the same tire? I had a set on my Fox for probably 3 or 4 years before I finally retired them. Its the tire of choice for Skip Barber racing schools, and they're like 20-30$ cheaper than most similar tires. :shrug: