what clutch do i get for a 1980 5.0 engine?

revelationz

Sep 10, 2004
Evansville, IN
ok heres the deal i recently replaced the clutch in my 306 with a stock clutch kit from orielys for the time being. i asked for a clutch for a 1984 mustang gt and that is what they gave me. after i installed it i later found it, that the engine is from a 1980 vehicle (i think it was a truck if i remember correctly). Is there a certain clutch i should get considering 80's had the 28oz balanced flywheels instead of 50oz (i think)? i didnt even get to drive it but about 50 miles (had to move) with the stock clutch that i have now due to vibration. and im thinking maybe i have the wrong size (balanced) pressure plate, i dont know i am so lost. but i have cash in hand ready to buy a clutch kit and a new flywheel. any recomended clutches for this engine would be greatly appreciated, because i am so lost this is my last resort to the vibration, before i take it to a shop. btw i am running a t-5 tranny.

• Sponsors (?)

I can tell you that 1981 and later engines in the MUSTANGS received the 50 oz balance setup with the smaller ten inch clutch.

I can also tell you that in 86 the stangs got a bigger flywheel and 10.5 inch clutch.

I would "guess" that the trucks may have still gotten a 28 oz deal, and you got a 50 oz mustang deal. If you had the wrong flywheel, meaning, say a 10.5 later flywheel, the 84 mustang clutch "shouldn't" I don't think work.

Here is what I WOULD do. I'd pick up an 86+ flywheel 50 oz and run it with the bigger 86+ clutches (aftermarket of your choice) then change the harmonic balancer to the newer 50 oz style.

as a final resort, I would also suggest posting this on foureyedpride.com, as I know there should be a few guys there that would know this answer for sure.

best of luck! hope to see you there, Jeremy

edit: now that I reread, you have an 80 engine, that's the cutoff. an 80 engine, truck or stang should be 28 oz. either get a 28 oz setup, or convert like I suggested.

EDIT EDIT; sorry, just analyizng more. the balance is in the flywheel, not the pressure plate. an 84 clutch is the same size as an 80 clutch, and I am pretty sure there is no balance for a pressure plate.

can you be more descriptive about the vibrations?

also, consider this: who rebuilt the engine? was it like this when you bought it?? there is a chance it could already have a 50 oz setup on it, and you ordered a 28 oz clutch. You need really find out what you've got in there. maybe go to napa and compare the flywheels they have in stock before you rip it all apart and see if you've got the newer or older style.