• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech

What clutch should I buy?

  • Thread starter Thread starter gnats50
  • Start date Start date Aug 7, 2004
G

gnats50

New Member
May 10, 2004
11
0
2
Aug 7, 2004
#1
  • Aug 7, 2004
  • #1
I need a new clutch because mine is wearing out. I need one that will handle my mods (in sig , I think) and would also like one that is light and easy to press down. My stock one is really stiff. Any suggestions? Thanks
 
W

wytstang

Mustang Master
Mar 14, 2004
4,988
4
78
Summerville,SC missing South Fl. weather :(
Aug 7, 2004
#2
  • Aug 7, 2004
  • #2
Spec stage I or II or III(you don't have your sig posted).
 

Killercanary

The car that set the bar.
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
5,676
1
76
Altoona, PA
Aug 7, 2004
#3
  • Aug 7, 2004
  • #3
I will NEVER EVER recommend a spec clutch. They are WAY too grabby. The spec 3 is a "parts" breaker, and the spec II I heard so much about left me very disappointed as I raced a buddies '01GT convertible last night with it. I hated it. The pedal effort was nice, but it engaged VERY quick... too quick for me. I don't think there is anyway I could have slipped it out on a launch. I have a new clutch sitting here ready to go in. Its a custom spec'd clutch from Pro Motion and it was $315.50 for the disc, plate and T-out bearing. It will hold 700hp in a 3200lb car and is supposed to have around the same pedal effort as the motorsport HD clutches I have always used. I did a lot of research when buying this clutch, and everything I found steered me clear of the spec stuff. I know a lot mof guys swear by it, but from friends that have them, those that I have driven, and the tranny experts I've spoken with... spec wasn't the way to go, and that was what I had planned on getting.
 
G

gnats50

New Member
May 10, 2004
11
0
2
Aug 7, 2004
#4
  • Aug 7, 2004
  • #4
Thanks for the info. I accidentally started 2 threads on this like a dumb@$$.
 
B

baglock1

The Bartender
Founding Member
Aug 25, 2001
6,612
1
78
Space Coast, FL
Aug 7, 2004
#5
  • Aug 7, 2004
  • #5
Killercanary said:
I will NEVER EVER recommend a spec clutch. They are WAY too grabby. The spec 3 is a "parts" breaker, and the spec II I heard so much about left me very disappointed as I raced a buddies '01GT convertible last night with it.
Click to expand...

Well, shouldn't a clutch be "grabby"? Anyways, if a stage 3 is a "parts breaker" then that means that the parts that are breaking aren't strong enough to handle the power of the motor. Those were just my initial thoughts.

Anyways, spec clutches aren't too bad for what they are but their quality control is pretty bad. I've seen to many instances of the same type of clutch handling 500 hp on one car and blowing up under 300 on another.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

F
Engine 1988 Foxbody idle issues
  • fernandosgarage55
  • Apr 28, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
  • 2
Replies
26
Views
854
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Apr 30, 2026
AeroCoupe
4
Drivetrain Wilwood Clutch and Brake Pedal Combo Installation - Help
  • 427stang
  • Jul 8, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
0
Views
83
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jul 8, 2026
427stang
4
A
Remake Clutch and Transmission Suggestions for a 2014 6 spd manual
  • adamchrysler
  • Jul 30, 2025
  • 2010 - 2014 Specific Tech
Replies
4
Views
304
2010 - 2014 Specific Tech Aug 8, 2025
SuperCharged_Coyote
S
D
96 get convertible-sell or part out?
  • DTCstang
  • May 17, 2026
  • What is it Worth?!?!?
Replies
5
Views
250
What is it Worth?!?!? May 18, 2026
nickyb
B
Subframe connector question
  • B0udreaux
  • Jan 27, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
20
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Feb 5, 2026
rednotch
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?