What could be a good budget front suspension setup?

Hey guys, I am looking to replace a few things on my front suspension but I need a little help. My car has 122k miles on it so I think its time to do some preventative maintenance/upgrades. I need to replace the wheel bearings, a couple brake parts and then I want the car to sit a little lower in the front. Im thinking some new bushings, maybe take out the isolators (maybe get the MM ones?) or something of the sort. I was also thinking of buying some stock struts from a newer mustang with less miles and putting them in there. Got any other ideas to lower the car a little, do some preventative maintenance, and some performance upgrades?

• Sponsors (?)

You really don't need to do wheel bearings till they start to show issues IMHO. They aren't cheap like fox III fronts (ours are sealed).

I'd agree about the Terminator control arms. You get fresh BJ's and FLCA bushings that way. I've used poly bushings and new ball joints in old arms and it isn't worth it IMHO.

I would not leave an isolator out but that's a personal thing. I'd rather get some used front lowering springs for not much cash instead.

Tokico HP's are a pretty good bang for the buck too.

Don't forget items like sway bar bushings and end links. Also rack bushings and top strut bushings if you dont have CC plates. Check your tie rods as well.

It can really snowball fast if you decide to start renewing all the wear items.

Good luck.

The Cobra arms are fairly cheap and have new, harder durometer bushings and new improved BJ's. They can allow the turning radius to be decreased as well. They really are a nice bang for the buck. If your old arms' components are in kinda ok shape, you might not feel a big difference, but the new arms should outlast the car.
Can't comment on tubulars.

<snip>...would it be worth the money to go with some tubulars instead?

No. Unless you're planning to put some serious cash into your suspension, both front and rear, don't bother with the tubular arms. Get the new control arms as mentioned and get the best struts you can afford. I'd suggest Bilsteins. You can get a brand new set for about $500 and they'll be worth every penny. If that's not an option, just pick up some tokico HPs and call it a day.

i have the HPs and love them... i was actually JUST lookin at the 03 Cobra control arms and i think im going to get them. StangSuspension has the kit for $165 i believe, thats real cheap...

EDIT: question... i was intending on keeping the stock control arms before deciding to go with the 03s... i was going to do a x2 ball joint kit and a bumpsteer kit... if i do the control arms, will i still need to do the bumpsteer kit... i know i wont need teh ball joint kit nemore...

Sorry Keven :OT: but .....
03 Cobra front A arms
03 Cobra front Bilstein struts or Mach or Bullit struts
Sway bar bushings

No need to change the front bearings as they are sealed unless they are starting to whine.

I have a whistling noise coming from the front of my car, I only notice it when going about 30mph it happens at lower speeds but not as noticable. I thought it might be the bearings. but was not sure.:shrug: I can't seem to find the bearings???? can I just replace the hub???

Back On Topic. I think That the 03 control arms+tokico hp+springs+ swaybar bushings+ maybe flush steering fluid.

I have the tokico hp's on my car:nice: and now it doesn't nose dive as much, and handles alot better. :nice: But I might be getting bilsteins next time round.:nice:

Bumpsteer: kinda depends on each car. I wish I had it (Prokit). But others with the PK don't seem to have any. :shrug:

Well I got the 03 cobra A-arms for free, some 04 GT struts with 4k miles on them for $40 ( didnt want to spend $500+ yet, and didnt want to waste money on something not worthwhile). Im looking at getting sway bar bushings and isolators and also looking for a strut tower bar as well. I think its my brake squeaking now, which suck because the pads are like 2 years old (hawk, shouldnt they last longer then that?). Im gonna machine the rotor and see if the pads are any good then.

Where are you guys buying your end link bushings, sway bar bushings(would this be the same as the endlink bushings?), and isolators? What else can I get?

You should be able to have your local Autozone order the stuff for you. I just got mine from Summit when making an order for other stuff.

End link bushings and sway bar bushings are different. The latter ones are towards the middle of the car and the former ones go on those 'bars' at the end of each arm (connecting the FLCA and sway bar). You need a set of both.

Consider new rack bushings as well. Also, I've used poly boots in the past and I liked them. They hold up nicely compared to the rubber ones that come with new BJ's and tie rods. CC plates or top strut bushings are a good idea too.

Good luck.