What could be a good budget front suspension setup?

Consider new rack bushings as well.

i think i am going to order some of these myself. i spoke with a guy from Maximum Motorsports about stiffening my steering and doing away with some excessive play. he suggested their solid rack bushings for $50. he claims a big improvement over stock.

also thought about doing new end links. can i do anything with the tie rod ends also?

• Sponsors (?)

i want the shaft too but its pricey at about $250.

where to buy whole end links as a pair and about how much?

sorry for the hijack

The end link kit can be found for $15.95 at Mustangs Unlimited (and many other places): http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy01.asp?T1=98124G+01&Category=&catkey=74-01

$250 is about right for the shaft just about anywhere. Some have tried an 03/04 Cobra shaft that's cheaper, but note that the shaft has rubber bushings unlike the MM shaft that has no rubber parts.

thanks for the link buddy. seems to be a good bang for buck for only $16.

with my car being lowered, will these end links work ok? no binding or twisting?
also, if i go for the MM solid rack mounts will that translate road roughness thru the wheel or will it just reduce slop and be more precise?

If sportlines are near a 2" drop, you may want to go with a $20 set of end links from MM that are specifically for drops of 1 3/4 inches or more. Part number 19-408-BL.

I feel no roughness or vibration at all with MMs stuff. I've seen info that stated it could happen, but to me it is no different than stock, except that the steering is more precise and almost no play (probably as good as the ford steering assembly would ever be).

Why not go with Maximum Motorsports $20 set that is designed for springs that lower 1 3/4" or more? It's about a $5 difference.

If you go with the regular replacements, you might find that you'll encounter some bumpsteer and the like.

i gotcha now. sorry, didnt understand completely at first. you mean i can go to MM and get the same end link setup kit just like this one...... http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy01.asp?T1=98124G+01&Category=&catkey=74-01 ..... for $20 and it will be more suited for my sportlines

i searched for that part number on MM but had no luck :shrug:

btw- thank you again for all your help

i gotcha now. sorry, didnt understand completely at first. you mean i can go to MM and get the same end link setup kit just like this one...... http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy01.asp?T1=98124G+01&Category=&catkey=74-01 ..... for $20 and it will be more suited for my sportlines

i searched for that part number on MM but had no luck :shrug:

btw- thank you again for all your help

Do this:

Go to MMs website.
Click on Products and Online Catalog (link on the upper left)
Click on Mustang Front Suspension
Click on Urethane Bushings
Click on Front Swaybar Endlinks
It should be the 4th item in the list.

Sometimes it takes a little bit to find a couple smaller items. Unfortunately, you can't link to anything in their site for parts.

got it.

so, if i purchase the following my steering should be tigher with less-no slop?

- MM aluminum steering rack bushings (part # MMST-7) for $39.95

- MM swaybar end link kit (part # 19-408-BL) for $19.95

- MM swaybar bushings 30mm prothane (part # 6-1137-BL) for $14.95

will these three things cover the steering slop problem, minus the pricey steering shaft? do i need anything else? do i need anything less?

also, i already mentioned this but since the rack bushings are aluminum and not prothane, will that beat me to death thru the steering wheel? can it still be smooth and aluminum at the same time?

another question: if use the MM end link kit, would that take the place of having to buy a steeda bump steer kit if i later used the steeds X2 balljoints?

doesnt those ball joints lower the car about another 1/2" ?

another question: if use the MM end link kit, would that take the place of having to buy a steeda bump steer kit if i later used the steeds X2 balljoints?

doesnt those ball joints lower the car about another 1/2" ?

To answer all your questions safely and honestly:

1. The aluminum rack bushings will not beat you to death. In fact, I don't feel anything harsh at all.

2. The three items you listed will help big time in steering response, but of course you'll be missing one key component (which may be OK till yours wears out). Steering slop really is mostly caused by the rag joint going bad, so the steering shaft by MM fixes that issue. The three items you listed will smooth out the front end and make steering/handling more precise. Once I did all my stuff AND finished up with new motor mounts, I couldn't believe how smooth everything was up front (like better than new from what I remember).

3. Bumpsteer kit needed? Get the stuff you've mentioned done first and follow up with a good alignment. You'll have to determine what is good, not good, and unusual.