what did i do wrong? (water pump install)

87lc2

Oct 16, 2005
the old one came off fine, i completely cleaned the mating surfaces, and its leaking horribly now. i coated noth sides of the gasket with rtv as well. Is there something i missed? its leaking all over the place....any help appreciated

• Sponsors (?)

I did the same thing. Not much you can do other than rip it back off and make sure everything was level and clean. Make sure you didn't miss a bolt either. I got mine to work by using a lot of RTV, which I gave quite some time to become tacky, and tightening the bolts in a cross type sequence.

Good luck!

There is the pump, the plate behind the pump, and the surface it mounts on. Make sure you go around the entire edge of all of these surfaces.

I messed up when I did it my first time, coolant everywhere. Took it off and realized I needed to use sealant in a lot more places than i originally put it.

so you guys did use rtv on both sides of gasket? also, is there any special rtv i should be using?? i heard somewhere you shouldnt fill the car with coolant and run for about 24 hours to let the rtv cure, i filled mine right away because i needed the car...could this have something to do with it?

I did the same damn thing, so I tore it all apart and it turns out Summit sent me the wrong gasket. So I cut my own out of a gasket sheet. I wouldnt recommend using RTV, that stuff is friggin mess both during install and when cleaning the gasket surfaces later on. Just use a good gasket and that should be enough.

the gasket i got with the pump looked pretty crappy, im going with a fel-pro this time....ive never used a wp gasket without rtv, enyone else try it with success? thatd be great, i hate rtv too, both going on and taking off later

i did a search on this, is there supposed to be two gaskets? one between the backing plate and water pump, the one between the backing plate and timing cover? if so, my new water pupm didnt come with the one for backing plate to water pump

I just changed my water pump and only used RTV just to hold gaskets in place. Like what was stated earlier make sure the backing plate bolts at the bottom are tight. you didnt say what brand pump you used but there was a post on here a few weeks ago about someone having either a wieand or edelbrock pump that the bolts for the backing plate were to thick and wouldnt let the pump sit flush to the block. They had to reuse the stock plate bolts from the old pump. Good luck.