What disc brake kit should I choose? SWAP.1 or SWAP.3 kit from discbrakeswap.com?

Hi,

I have a 1969 Mustang Coupe, 302-2v, C4, manual drum brakes, power steering, AC, and 15" Magnum 500s. This was a daily driver for me from 1989 to 1996 and now sees a couple hundred miles a year.

I just bought a front disc brake kit from Dennis and I was all set to go with the SWAP.3 kit and then I saw the SWAP.1 kit has a 4-piston caliper. Assuming my spindles aren't in need of replacement (California car, I am the 2nd owner and it has about 168,000 miles), what should I go with?

The SWAP.1 kit is an easier install and gives me 4-piston calipers, the SWAP.3 kit is harder install, has a 1-piston caliper but should be easier to maintain than a 4-piston caliper. As a civil engineer, I like to analyze stuff to death and would really like some opinions so I can put this to bed!

Also, any recommendations on the adjustable proportioning valve vs. the OEM one that sets itself? Is the OEM one any harder to plumb etc.?

Thanks!!
Chad

• Sponsors (?)

Sure does. I would email Dennis and pose your question to him. He is pretty good about getting back to people.
If he offers the option to put the KH kit on a later model, I would see what would be involved. All his kits are very complete. I just finished a swap 2 kit this morning on a 67. So if he lists the kit for the year you want, I can't imagine it would be any more difficult than any other kit. Sorry I didn't look a little farther to answer your question.

Get rid of the stock distribution block and use a "T" to the front lines and use the new proportioning valve. Either way, Dennis has some great kits and I don't think you'll be disappointed either way you go.

Thanks for the replies

Thanks for the replies!

I think I am going to go with the SWAP.1 kit for the 4-piston calipers and not having to mess with the spindles. I am going to pull my front drums this week and confirm my original spindles are in good shape still. Figure if I am going to stick with non-power brakes that I should go with the 4-piston calipers and get the max stopping power I can get. :nice:

Thanks for the replies!

I think I am going to go with the SWAP.1 kit for the 4-piston calipers and not having to mess with the spindles. I am going to pull my front drums this week and confirm my original spindles are in good shape still. Figure if I am going to stick with non-power brakes that I should go with the 4-piston calipers and get the max stopping power I can get. :nice:

I'd contend that all 3 kits are roughly equivalent, from a performance standpoint. All use an 11" rotor that weighs about 10 kg. The pad areas are about the same. They all perform the common goal of affording basic cost effective proven performance OEM style disc brakes for our drivers.

In your case, a 65-69 with functional 8 cylinder type spindles, I'd recommend the SWAP.1. It is dead simple to install and will not necessitate an alignment (although, most Mustangs will benefit from re-alignment to modern specs-see the install guide). The SWAP.1 does not include spindles.

Owners of 65-66 Mustangs with 6 cylinder 4 lug steering gear may prefer the SWAP.2 since it includes all parts necessary to adapt the existing steering gear to the included 5 lug spindles.

The SWAP.2 and 3 include heavy duty disc brake specific spindles. Some user may wish to have these heavy duty large pin spindles.

Although the SWAP.3 can be installed on all 65-73 cars (we offer 65-66 specific spindles for the SWAP.2 and 3), I would personally only consider using it on a 68-73 car on which I wish to maintain originality. There's a lot to say for being able to buy replacement parts spec'ed for your year model. Otherwise, I'd prefer the SWAP.2 for its simpicity and inexpensive replacement parts.