What does the diffent keyways on timming chain do?

I’d like to add let’s all be nice here I know I’m an idiot but I love these cars and “Someone else” will read this and they might get discouraged to ask any questions on here because they might not want to get trashed I’m already starting to feel that way so if I go on another mustang site to ask I hope o don’t get the same ridicle. I have been studying all this stuff for 4 years and spent soo much money some people just can’t do things right I’m sorry but it’s m not going to trust a mechanic to touch my car I’ll just keep rueing both of them

• Sponsors (?)

To be fair, you're the only "thief" here that I'm aware of, so that makes you THE thief - general or no! :shrug:
Besides, I'm no longer in any branch of the service, so rank just doesn't mean anything to me anymore. ;)

And so far, to the OP, 3 different tests have been suggested and a number of different things to check. 3 votes for a compression test, and I suggested a leak down type test and a coolant pressure test if you're concerned you have a coolant leak as bad as what you've led me to believe, which require different tools. Timing requires a timing light and should probably be the first thing to check and confirm. Then, tear the front of the engine down and confirm that the timing chain is indeed correctly installed. The last thing to check would be to see about your head gasket. As Mike said, it's highly unlikely unless there's something you've not let us in on. I'm sure, from what was described, it was an error on your part during the assembly process that has caused the engine to run like :poo: vs the catastrophic failure of something. That's not saying a catastrophic failure wasn't caused by incorrect installation though, but a head gasket wouldn't be at or near the top of the list.

Now, having said all of that, you said you ran your engine hotter than 230* - how hot did it get? Do you have an aftermarket temperature gauge installed to be able to say? And how long was it ran at that higher temp?
O I think I ran it hot 10 min or so by the time I saw the temp gauge was too late I did smell something no smoke that I saw so didn’t know it was hot drive hiway

It's possible you may have hurt the gasket, depending on how hot it actually got. I think I'd rearrange my list and check compression first.

Reactions: 1 user
As long as you have an Oreillys, an Advance, or an Auto Zone in the town you live in. Every single diagnostic tool talked about here is capable of getting loaned out for free.
( you just have to leave a refundable deposit )

The Comp tester is the easiest to use, and doesn’t require an air compressor like a leak down does. Once you verify that all cylinders are fairly even, you can put the blown HG thing to rest.
As long as the engine is truly on its TDC on the compression stroke. The dots appear fine.
If you had the distributor out, I’d say the poor running issue is due to ignition timing, Interference on the timing chain would’ve left evidence of contact, and would’ve made a god awful noise if it was actually hitting something.

Reactions: 1 users
As long as you have an Oreillys, an Advance, or an Auto Zone in the town you live in. Every single diagnostic tool talked about here is capable of getting loaned out for free.
( you just have to leave a refundable deposit )

The Comp tester is the easiest to use, and doesn’t require an air compressor like a leak down does. Once you verify that all cylinders are fairly even, you can put the blown HG thing to rest.
As long as the engine is truly on its TDC on the compression stroke. The dots appear fine.
If you had the distributor out, I’d say the poor running issue is due to ignition timing, Interference on the timing chain would’ve left evidence of contact, and would’ve made a god awful noise if it was actually hitting something.
On that god awful noise what would that sound like? Have you ever heard that before? Is it like a slight pop? I heard that at the end of my reving and checked the ignition wires to be right. O and I timed to 12 just random went between 10 14