What else needed for heads?

Hey guys tomorrow i am purchasing a set of Trick Flow Twisted wedge heads that are already o-ringed and a steeda #19 cam for now, I decided to go with heads and cam until either the vortech or turbo comes on because i feel i should get these mods done first and heads and a cam are more in my price range right now. My ? is what other mods will i need for the heads and cam? I am also going to be getting a 75mm mass air calibrated for 36lb inj. of course the injectors themselves, new double timing chain. 1.6 3/8 stud mount rockers, and hardend pushrods (they are the same length as stock is that ok?) Also will the stock valve covers work and if not which ones will work for our years? And is it true that even with the trick flows 2.02in intake valves the pistons dont need to be nothched? thank you very very much for your help, i appreciate it. :hail2:

• Sponsors (?)

milehighstang said:
Hey guys tomorrow i am purchasing a set of Trick Flow Twisted wedge heads that are already o-ringed and a steeda #19 cam for now, I decided to go with heads and cam until either the vortech or turbo comes on because i feel i should get these mods done first and heads and a cam are more in my price range right now. My ? is what other mods will i need for the heads and cam? I am also going to be getting a 75mm mass air calibrated for 36lb inj. of course the injectors themselves, new double timing chain. 1.6 3/8 stud mount rockers, and hardend pushrods (they are the same length as stock is that ok?) Also will the stock valve covers work and if not which ones will work for our years? And is it true that even with the trick flows 2.02in intake valves the pistons dont need to be nothched? thank you very very much for your help, i appreciate it. :hail2:

1. Your other mods should be an intake (or ported stock) and gears with that combo.

2. A 75mm TB and 36lb injectors are too big with the stock intake. Change the injectors when u get the s/c.

3. Pushrods for twisted wedge heads are longer than stock.

4. The valve cover issue depends on the type of rocker arm used, but I mostly hear that stock ones will not fit w/o modification or spacers.

5. You don't need to notch the pistons with t/w heads when using the stock cam. The Steeda #19 should be fine, but always check PTV clearance.

I run the 19 with my ported/milled E7s....I had to buy longer PRs than stock... my point being the 19 changes the centerline so what others used MAY not apply to your TF set-up unless they're running the 19 to???

To be on the safe side, you shoud check pushrod lenght and then order proper size pushrods. As far as valve covers, I understand that you can use the fox body valve covers or cut the stock oil baffle to accomodate rocker studs. Me, I just used the BBK valve cover with a 3/8" spacer with no problems. Just One Man's Opinion. Peace

The 36lb injectors are to big. 30lb injectors will be more suitable, even 24's will work, but it'd be stretching it.

The pushrod length you're looking for is probably 6.750", that's what I used with my Stage 1 cam, and that's what TFS says to use.

1.6 rockers might fit under the stock valve covers, although you might need to cut out the oil baffles. Otherwise foxbody VC's, or those cheap $20 chrome ones on eBay (what I have) will work, but you'll need an intake spacer. I run those chrome ones on eBay, with a 3/8" intake spacer.

The reason you don't need to notch the pistons is, (I THINK this is why, but I could be wrong) the angle of the valve is set to where it doesn't interfere with the piston. I think that's what it is anyway.

Lifters are a good idea, although not absolutely neccessary if you're on a budget. But they're only $119 from 50resto for the FRPP ones, so they're not that expensive.

After all this, you are DEFINITELY gonna want some sort of tune. Either a custom dyno tune done by professionals, or a tune-it-yourself with the twEECer or PMS setup.

milehighstang said:
sory i forgot to post. i have the trickflow track heat intake. 75mm tb. and 3.90 gears along with all the other bolt ons. do you know what size the pushrods have to be by any chance?

Whatever comes with the h/c/i package that summit sells is the right one. I can't remember the exact length though.

The heads come with thermactor inserts, which are another name for threaded inserts. The step down the 9/16 threads down to a 7/16 so you can bolt up your accessory brackets. Don't forget to install them once you mount the heads.
Scott

mo_dingo said:
The heads come with thermactor inserts, which are another name for threaded inserts. The step down the 9/16 threads down to a 7/16 so you can bolt up your accessory brackets. Don't forget to install them once you mount the heads.
Scott

To further add to what Scott said, you'll need two extra of those inserts if you plan on deleting your smog system. The extra two will go in the back of the heads to plug those holes. Summit has them for like $3 a piece. They're easier to put in while the heads are off the car IMHO. :)