what engine for my next project

bartman

Jan 2, 2004
FL
Finishing up one project and heading into the next one. Should have my Father-in-laws 71 Firebird TA clone done in next three or four months. So will be turning attention back to the Blue Oval. I've had 67 fasb sitting in garage for 11 years (why be in a hurry). Goingt to be buildin with my son-in-law. Probably will run a stroker in it. I currently have a 351 C block and a C6 also have a 5.0 with a T5. Thought a 351C stroked might be interesting. Not real familiar with the C though. Any thoughts or specific info on stroker kits for the C? Thanks Bart

• Sponsors (?)

There are advantages to both the 351c and the 5.0. The 5.0 can be stroked pretty cheap compared to the cleveland, but the cleveland is capable of more power and has a stronger block than the 5.0.

You can stroke a cleveland to a 377, 383, 393, 396, 408, 416, and 426. I have even seen one that was a 440, although I wouldn't go that big. 4v cleveland heads flow extremely well and can be capable of over 500hp without even porting.

Although you can get some pretty awesome power out of a cleveland, I still chose to build a 5.0 because of cost and weight. I also didn't want to cut the shock towers in my 64.5. I started with a 5.0 H.O. with some ported gt40 heads, weiand intake, mild cam, and some tri y headers and it will make some great power for the weight of the car, but if I were building a 67 fastback I would probably go with a cleveland.

thanks ajfriz,
I've been doing some checking online today and am leaning toward the 351C stroked, since it is in a 67. It will be something a little different. Although I'll do a 5.0 storked for my 65 because I don't want to deal with shock towers either. I have a 75 351C block with 2v heads. I will probably run aftermarket alum. heads. Looks like 500 hp and 500 lbs of torque shouldn't be to hard to accomplish and while not the cheapest not to bad in the wallet. Son in law is wantin to run the 5 speed. Does sound like fun!!!
bartman

There are advantages to both the 351c and the 5.0. The 5.0 can be stroked pretty cheap compared to the cleveland, but the cleveland is capable of more power and has a stronger block than the 5.0.

You can stroke a cleveland to a 377, 383, 393, 396, 408, 416, and 426. I have even seen one that was a 440, although I wouldn't go that big. 4v cleveland heads flow extremely well and can be capable of over 500hp without even porting.

Although you can get some pretty awesome power out of a cleveland, I still chose to build a 5.0 because of cost and weight. I also didn't want to cut the shock towers in my 64.5. I started with a 5.0 H.O. with some ported gt40 heads, weiand intake, mild cam, and some tri y headers and it will make some great power for the weight of the car, but if I were building a 67 fastback I would probably go with a cleveland.

A REAL Cleveland can be stroked to 408 max, and some people will tell you that 408 is pushing it. The pin will intersect the bottom ring on a 408. I think you are talking about using an aftermarket Windsor style block with Cleveland heads (which is not a bad way to go). The Cleveland heads flow great and would flow even better with a large bore build.

Edit: for a lot of build information and general tech on the Cleveland, go here: http://www.network54.com/Forum/119419/
Most forums will have a lot of mis-information on the Cleveland, but that forum is really good.

Thanks to all for info. I am looking to do a 75 cleavland block with aftermarket heads. I have 2 v not aussie heads. I don't like what I have read about detonation problems with the 2 v. This project is for a 67 fsb that was orginally for my daughter and her husband and I are finishing it. But I am thinking of 351w stroked for my 65 fsb. That project is a couple years out though. Anyone goin to Daytona for spring fling? Maybe I'll see ya there. Bartman